crazy question...

Twist.vmf

L420: High Member
Jul 29, 2016
so, crazy question. let's say i wanted to make a koth map that takes place on 2 airplanes in constant movement, in the sky, bobbing up and down, side to side, small gusts of wind that push players, and everything, spawns, lockers, and the point all move separately or with the planes...is this possible?

now i already know that a map like this would greatly break any and all formulas, but it would be so fun!!!

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
Source loves static and... well, hates completely dynamic levels. I doubt you can have proper spawnrooms on the planes, and everything would lag as hell since the entire map is rendering (look, no worldbrushes there)

sooshey

:3c
aa
Jan 7, 2015
Yeah, you could do that, but if you want the planes to move independently of one another, you will need to move the entire playspace, which causes tons of issues. Source doesn't like moving platforms AT ALL, players hate being pushed about by outside forces, so i'm guessing it won't be very well received. However you can probably get away with simulating movement (i.e. make the planes static but move everything around them)

Source loves static and... well, hates completely dynamic levels. I doubt you can have proper spawnrooms on the planes, and everything would lag as hell since the entire map is rendering (look, no worldbrushes there)
He's right, you cannot move worldbrushes, which are required for blocking vis. If you want the plane to move they have to be entities instead.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
If you have large indoor areas and a small connecting outdoor area then you could fake it with teleporters. It will be poor, but it's what you get since there is no linked_portal_door entity class in tf2.