crazy question...

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Twist.vmf, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Twist.vmf

Twist.vmf L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    so, crazy question. let's say i wanted to make a koth map that takes place on 2 airplanes in constant movement, in the sky, bobbing up and down, side to side, small gusts of wind that push players, and everything, spawns, lockers, and the point all move separately or with the planes...is this possible?

now i already know that a map like this would greatly break any and all formulas, but it would be so fun!!!

2. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    Source loves static and... well, hates completely dynamic levels. I doubt you can have proper spawnrooms on the planes, and everything would lag as hell since the entire map is rendering (look, no worldbrushes there)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Malachite Man

Malachite Man L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    It possible maybe but that would be some crazy some crazy enity work i mean trainsawlaser logic.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. sooshey

aa sooshey :3c

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, you could do that, but if you want the planes to move independently of one another, you will need to move the entire playspace, which causes tons of issues. Source doesn't like moving platforms AT ALL, players hate being pushed about by outside forces, so i'm guessing it won't be very well received. However you can probably get away with simulating movement (i.e. make the planes static but move everything around them)

He's right, you cannot move worldbrushes, which are required for blocking vis. If you want the plane to move they have to be entities instead.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    If you have large indoor areas and a small connecting outdoor area then you could fake it with teleporters. It will be poor, but it's what you get since there is no linked_portal_door entity class in tf2.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Malachite Man

Malachite Man L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    you could have two next to each other like covoy where it looks like it moving but it's not

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Tags: