Model Crane

Discussion in 'Request Area' started by Bermuda Cake, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Bermuda Cake

Bermuda Cake L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Was wondering if someone could have a go at making a crane for a dock.
    [​IMG]
    It'd be good if it had a magnetic end, like the HL2 crane, so it could be made to look like it was picking up shipping containers.

Hugs and kisses to anyone who takes this on :rolleyes:

edit:
    in terms of size, the half life crane models\cranes\crane_frame.mdl would be a good starting point for the base size.

2. Tapp

Tapp L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Would this little prefab satisfy your need?
    http://www.fpsbanana.com/prefabs/2736
    It may not be very similar to your reference pictures, but I'm sure it could suffice if a (good) modeller doesn't pick this up

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Bermuda Cake

Bermuda Cake L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    hey, that's pretty good! It'll do, yeah.
    Thanks Tapp

4. Mick-a-nator

aa Mick-a-nator

Positive Ratings:
    Just so you know, that's not what container cranes look like. That pre-fab Tapp linked too looks kind of right, but crane hook is wrong (container's don't use hooks, they use there weird arms that drop down onto the top)

5. UGLYdumpling

UGLYdumpling L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    You're mostly correct. In fact, there are many ways of offloading a sea-container. On a seadock, the most popular cranes lower a rectangular reinforced-frame onto the sea-container and a series of four twistlock mechanisms at the corners are used to link up. This is considered the most efficient because the crane worker can work VERY fast.

However, as you can see from this video or even this one, sea-containers do incorporate adapters for hooks ... albeit less efficient. Because let's be honest, most people don't have access to multi-million dollar cranes.

Man, in doing the linking for my reply I got kinda inspired by all this cool machinery. Cranes are so cool! :cool:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010