cp_theory working files

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
http://tf2maps.net/downloads/cp_theory-working-files.2382/

The above is the VMF and VMM files for cp_theory, including every version I have, up to the partially completed a_17. To properly mess around with this you probably need to understand manifests and my workflow with instances, but you can also just collapse cp_theory_a17.vmf (it's all instanced map parts) and go from there if you're lazy/bad.

THIS IS NOT A GOOD ORPHAN TO LEARN HAMMER/SOURCE/DESIGN WITH.

Recommended Experience Level:

• You should be very comfortable with all aspects of Hammer, including Manifests (see above).
  • You should be extremely comfortable with optimization as you will need all the tricks in the book. The map is weird.
  • It's recommended you have finished 2-3 Valve quality maps before playing with this. You will know if you meet this criteria.
About this alpha:
  • It needs work. It cannot simply be detailed and released under a new name. Play the last released version a few times if you think you want to take the project on.
  • This is not a file for the faint of heart to try editing. You really need to know what you're doing.
  • This is not a good map to learn about anything with. I welcome all people who want a peek, but this is not a good map for newcomers to work with.
It uses some of the custom content from the vehicles pack, Icarus' custom CP holograms, and I dunno maybe something else but I don't think so. If it seems like I made something and it's not on this website somewhere, just rip it out of the bsp.

My detailing plans were granary/farm -> industrial/foundry -> rocket launchpad or something.

You can do whatever you want with this. Don't talk to me about it unless Valve ends up wanting to buy it. I don't care.

Last edited:

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
Fuck I love this map, honestly one of my favorites on this website and i'm sad to see it be orphaned away. I really want to try doing something with this but I feel like i'd be in over my head. I don't want to damage such an amazing piece of art.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
Fuck I love this map, honestly one of my favorites on this website and i'm sad to see it be orphaned away. I really want to try doing something with this but I feel like i'd be in over my head. I don't want to damage such an amazing piece of art.

I would honestly say go for it - better try and fail than not try.

TMB

Banned
Jun 7, 2015
I think ill take it... cant be so hard, my big problems are the design so i dont think its gonna be hard...

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014

Kube

aa
Aug 31, 2014
Emmm, there is much text and its is english, what basically says?

It talks about how to use "manifests" for mapping. Barely anyone on this site understands how to use manifests (I don't). Tyler's map uses manifests. Best of luck.

TMB

Banned
Jun 7, 2015
It talks about how to use "manifests" for mapping. Barely anyone on this site understands how to use manifests (I don't). Tyler's map uses manifests. Best of luck.
Can i ask a thing.... what is a manifest?

MaccyF

Notoriously Unreliable
aa
Mar 27, 2015
Emmm, there is much text and its is english, what basically says?

I don't want to curb your enthusiasm TMB, but it really can't be made simple. Manifests are very difficult to work with, and without knowing how to use them, you simply won't be able to work with the vmf.

If anyone wants to prove me wrong on this, go ahead

Kube

aa
Aug 31, 2014
I don't want to curb your enthusiasm TMB, but it really can't be made simple. Manifests are very difficult to work with, and without knowing how to use them, you simply won't be able to work with the vmf.

If anyone wants to prove me wrong on this, go ahead

I agree, but here's a very quick summary:

Manifests allow you divide your map into different parts, to make it easier to map. However, without understanding how manifests work, it becomes harder to map. Looking into Theory's vmf might be a valuable experience for you, TMB, but you'll have to try really hard in order to work with it.

TMB

Banned
Jun 7, 2015
I agree, but here's a very quick summary:

Manifests allow you divide your map into different parts, to make it easier to map. However, without understanding how manifests work, it becomes harder to map. Looking into Theory's vmf might be a valuable experience for you, TMB, but you'll have to try really hard in order to work with it.
Emmmm, ok, im mapping since 1 year and its the first time i hear about manifest, but i dont think its a problem, real problems are the desgin or even worst, area portal, that my nemesis...

Kube

aa
Aug 31, 2014
Emmmm, ok, im mapping since 1 year and its the first time i hear about manifest, but i dont think its a problem, real problems are the desgin or even worst, area portal, that my nemesis...

OK, TMB, best of luck then.

TMB

Banned
Jun 7, 2015
Btw, there is a lot of vmf in that folder, and he dont says what is the project... is the vmf called cp_theory_a17-dev-OLD?

TMB

Banned
Jun 7, 2015
Many of those will be manifests. If you don't understand how to use those, you will have a very difficult time working with this map
I dont understand why maifiests exit... hydro didnt need it (i think) and its the biggest map in tf2...

TMB

Banned
Jun 7, 2015
Hydro was created before manifests existed: and it's not how big the map is, its how many strange angles there are.
I think its harder try to understand this, that make it for the normal way... its too large and its in english, i cant understand it...

TMB

Banned
Jun 7, 2015
Anyways guys, i read entire it and now i understand how it works!