cp_theory working files

Discussion in 'Orphaned Maps Repository' started by tyler, Jul 28, 2016.

1. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    http://tf2maps.net/downloads/cp_theory-working-files.2382/

The above is the VMF and VMM files for cp_theory, including every version I have, up to the partially completed a_17. To properly mess around with this you probably need to understand manifests and my workflow with instances, but you can also just collapse cp_theory_a17.vmf (it's all instanced map parts) and go from there if you're lazy/bad.

THIS IS NOT A GOOD ORPHAN TO LEARN HAMMER/SOURCE/DESIGN WITH.

Recommended Experience Level:

• You should be very comfortable with all aspects of Hammer, including Manifests (see above).
    • You should be extremely comfortable with optimization as you will need all the tricks in the book. The map is weird.
    • It's recommended you have finished 2-3 Valve quality maps before playing with this. You will know if you meet this criteria.
    About this alpha:
    • It needs work. It cannot simply be detailed and released under a new name. Play the last released version a few times if you think you want to take the project on.
    • This is not a file for the faint of heart to try editing. You really need to know what you're doing.
    • This is not a good map to learn about anything with. I welcome all people who want a peek, but this is not a good map for newcomers to work with.
    It uses some of the custom content from the vehicles pack, Icarus' custom CP holograms, and I dunno maybe something else but I don't think so. If it seems like I made something and it's not on this website somewhere, just rip it out of the bsp.

My detailing plans were granary/farm -> industrial/foundry -> rocket launchpad or something.

You can do whatever you want with this. Don't talk to me about it unless Valve ends up wanting to buy it. I don't care.

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  2. Lain

aa Lain will finish a map one day

Positive Ratings:
    Fuck I love this map, honestly one of my favorites on this website and i'm sad to see it be orphaned away. I really want to try doing something with this but I feel like i'd be in over my head. I don't want to damage such an amazing piece of art.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MaccyF

aa MaccyF Notoriously Unreliable

Positive Ratings:
  4. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    I would honestly say go for it - better try and fail than not try.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. TMB

TMB Banned

Positive Ratings:
    I think ill take it... cant be so hard, my big problems are the design so i dont think its gonna be hard...

6. KubeKing

Server Staff KubeKing dan's birthday was fun too

Positive Ratings:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. TMB

TMB Banned

Positive Ratings:
  8. KubeKing

Positive Ratings:
    It talks about how to use "manifests" for mapping. Barely anyone on this site understands how to use manifests (I don't). Tyler's map uses manifests. Best of luck.

9. TMB

TMB Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Can i ask a thing.... what is a manifest?

10. MaccyF

aa MaccyF Notoriously Unreliable

Positive Ratings:
    I don't want to curb your enthusiasm TMB, but it really can't be made simple. Manifests are very difficult to work with, and without knowing how to use them, you simply won't be able to work with the vmf.

If anyone wants to prove me wrong on this, go ahead

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. KubeKing

Positive Ratings:
    I agree, but here's a very quick summary:

Manifests allow you divide your map into different parts, to make it easier to map. However, without understanding how manifests work, it becomes harder to map. Looking into Theory's vmf might be a valuable experience for you, TMB, but you'll have to try really hard in order to work with it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. TMB

TMB Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Emmmm, ok, im mapping since 1 year and its the first time i hear about manifest, but i dont think its a problem, real problems are the desgin or even worst, area portal, that my nemesis...

13. KubeKing

Positive Ratings:
    OK, TMB, best of luck then.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. TMB

TMB Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Il try, thanks!

Buah, i started reading that and im getting sick, i prefer map like everybody does...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. TMB

TMB Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Btw, there is a lot of vmf in that folder, and he dont says what is the project... is the vmf called cp_theory_a17-dev-OLD?

16. LeSwordfish

Positive Ratings:
    Many of those will be manifests. If you don't understand how to use those, you will have a very difficult time working with this map

17. TMB

TMB Banned

Positive Ratings:
    I dont understand why maifiests exit... hydro didnt need it (i think) and its the biggest map in tf2...

18. LeSwordfish

Positive Ratings:
    Hydro was created before manifests existed: and it's not how big the map is, its how many strange angles there are.

19. TMB

TMB Banned

Positive Ratings:
    I think its harder try to understand this, that make it for the normal way... its too large and its in english, i cant understand it...

20. TMB

TMB Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Anyways guys, i read entire it and now i understand how it works!

• Like Like x 3