CP cp_potrero a3

currently themeless! exciting stuff

1. nitewalker

nitewalker L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    cp_Potrero_a1 - currently themeless! exciting stuff

hello folks,

long, long time lurker, first time poster here, and this is the first map i've ever gotten to a playable state. it has plenty of issues, and it's definitely over-detailed for an a1, but i'd love some critique! thanks in advance fellas, and thanks for all of the tips and tricks that i've been reading about for the last year and a half.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  2. theatreTECHIE

aa theatreTECHIE Yet another Techie for the net...

Positive Ratings:
    Seems like last is a bit dark from the screenshots, but other than that I'd have to play it to see

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. worMatty

aa worMatty Repacking Evangelist

Positive Ratings:
    Welcome to the site. Your map looks interesting. I look forward to playing it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. puxorb

aa puxorb

Positive Ratings:
    Seems like you understand map design well. This isn't flat and boring, or just an open room, it actually looks interesting to play on. Congratulations and welcome to the site!

I too lurked for a while before I joined.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    Looks promising, but this appears to be a long, flat sightline. I don't really know how this area will play out so it could actually be fine, but I thought it worth mentioning.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. nitewalker

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks everyone, i've had some experience with map design programs before as well as a lot of experience in autocad which has a lot of similarities, i'm mostly struggling with the internal logic of the system but i'm beginning to understand it.

this has worried me for a while but i've made it so that the sightline is essentially null unless you are standing dead center along the pathway, and there are angles at either end that you can get flanked from. i'm still not sure if it will end up being ok but i guess i'll find out in testing

7. nightwatch

aa nightwatch

Positive Ratings:
    Your geometry is really neat. However, your stairs look like they might be overscaled.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Bunbun

aa Bunbun Gay sex slave

Positive Ratings:
    Use sv_cheats 1 and cl_drawhud 0 to take perfect screenshots.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  9. Hergan5

Hergan5 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    And don't use any FPS configs, switch to DX9, and max everything up.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. nitewalker

Positive Ratings:
    tiny update based on info from the thread + some stuff i had forgotten to clip, not really deserving of new screenshots just yet

+brightened up several indoor areas
    +stairs are scaled properly/all clipped
    +tweaked some geometry in various places

i think the next big update i'll do is going to be completely gutting the wide room connecting mid to the yard before last, it seems to be way too open and easy to push through right now compared to the other mid -> 2nd options as well as making the rollout from last to mid too fast

Read the rest of this update entry...

11. nitewalker

Positive Ratings:
  12. ErickShock

ErickShock L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Woah. Great brush work. Aside from what tyler said, there's almost no first glance problems on your map. Let's wait for what gameday has to say. Looks promising so far!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. wiseguy149

wiseguy149 Emperor of Entities and Amateur of Aesthetics

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. nitewalker

Positive Ratings:
    wow, thanks a ton!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Lain

aa Lain Resident wrong opinion holder

Positive Ratings:
    This entrance is weird. It goes right past spawn, is very far away from the other chokes and is pretty definitively the best spot to push from with uber. I would suggest removing it entirely and focus on making the other entrances more defined.
    [​IMG]

This map has a lot of issues with things being too open, there isn't a good place to hold that wont severely leak. I'd suggest removing one of the doors to the right and making it a little smaller, and then removing the next thing i'm going to talk about
    [​IMG]

This room. I really dislike this room. It currently lets you go completely past last and/or behind the enemy team holding second, allowing you to use that disguising sightline on second to take shots at the enemy who really cant do anything about you without giving up second.
    [​IMG]

sightline in question
    [​IMG]

You might want to use the hazard overlays to be able to tell where the capzone is on this. It's very small as is. Look at maps like Badlands, Process and Snakewater. They have defined and fairly forgiving capture zones.
    [​IMG]

Nodraw here, but you probably know all about that
    [​IMG]

It wouldn't hurt to clip these.
    [​IMG]
    an example of how to clip them from cp_derecho_b4
    [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. nitewalker

Positive Ratings:
    updating potrero to a3

major changes include:
    -reworking the majority of the last point + spawn, as well as an increased last cap time
    -reworking connector room to allow 2nd to be better held/fewer sneaky last caps
    -stronger color identity to orient players
    -some bugfixing

initial todo for a4:
    -optimization
    -improve layout clarity

Read the rest of this update entry...

• Thanks Thanks x 1