CP_Overwatch

Discussion in 'WIP (Work in Progress)' started by joshman, Jul 28, 2008.

1. joshman

joshman L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    My new map (New name pending aswell)

This is a Port from HL2DM. For TF2. The Original is called DM_Overwatch.
    I need some help figuring out where the red team will spawn.
    Take a look at the current VMF to help me decide where. (I Also need some help with the entity system. Its all borked up because i just ripped it and the CPs from Gravelpit.)
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GPW8YBL3
    Screenshots:
    (Eh, none at the moment. I'll post some in the morning.)

I also need a better name. Any help with that? DM_Overwatch is the name of a TF2 map of no relation made by a fairly popular mapper on fpsbanana. So people might get confused if i name it CP_Overwatch.

2. Jacfu

Jacfu L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I think you should expand/change the theme a bit to suit tf2 gameplay
    ...don't confine things in just one area, it will send both teams into deathmatch mode.

delete it all and make your own, so you can control everything to suit the map's feel/size. & look no further,
    MacNetron basically did all the work: http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=1099

This is why I think you should expand the map somewhat. Having all three capture points in one area/building doesnt make sense to me.
    Why dont you add an area containing both capture point C and red spawn; like in gravelpit? I think it would open up new possibilities for your map:

[​IMG]

3. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    I can't express enough just how much work you will have to do to this map before it will play nicely as a tf2 map, its structure is just all wrong. If you MUST port from another game you could at least chose a map that has a layout that can easily be adapted into something that will work for tf2.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. oxy

oxy L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I agree with Youme. I am doing a port from Day of Defeat. I am doing Kalt, which is already a laid out as a control point map.

My work flow was to import the map and delete everything except the brushes. Then I deleted more brushes to just leave as few as possible in order to maintain the layout. Then I textured all them with dev texture and deleted half of the map ( it is a symmetrical map ) Now I am going back through it and rebuilding everything based on the layout I now have.

Some entities will transfer over but quite a few won't. I would suggest trying something similar to what I am doing. I am no pro but it sounded easier then going about it the way you are.

5. joshman

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks guys. I'll do that.

Also, you're re-doing Kalt? Is that that map with 2 areas behind and then that middle area in the summer? or the snowey map with the tunnels?

Also what i did was delete everything but the func_details, brushes, and lights. and worked from there.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  6. oxy

oxy L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    The snowy one with the tunnels.

7. joshman

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, i played that one all free weekend. That was a fun map.

(BTW Everyone else, i'm still working on this map.)