CP_Overwatch

joshman

L5: Dapper Member
May 7, 2008
My new map (New name pending aswell)

This is a Port from HL2DM. For TF2. The Original is called DM_Overwatch.
I need some help figuring out where the red team will spawn.
Take a look at the current VMF to help me decide where. (I Also need some help with the entity system. Its all borked up because i just ripped it and the CPs from Gravelpit.)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GPW8YBL3
Screenshots:
(Eh, none at the moment. I'll post some in the morning.)

I also need a better name. Any help with that? DM_Overwatch is the name of a TF2 map of no relation made by a fairly popular mapper on fpsbanana. So people might get confused if i name it CP_Overwatch.

Jacfu

L1: Registered
May 27, 2008
I think you should expand/change the theme a bit to suit tf2 gameplay
...don't confine things in just one area, it will send both teams into deathmatch mode.

I Also need some help with the entity system. Its all borked up because i just ripped it and the CPs from Gravelpit
delete it all and make your own, so you can control everything to suit the map's feel/size. & look no further,
MacNetron basically did all the work: http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=1099

I need some help figuring out where the red team will spawn.
This is why I think you should expand the map somewhat. Having all three capture points in one area/building doesnt make sense to me.
Why dont you add an area containing both capture point C and red spawn; like in gravelpit? I think it would open up new possibilities for your map:

ifaio4.jpg

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I can't express enough just how much work you will have to do to this map before it will play nicely as a tf2 map, its structure is just all wrong. If you MUST port from another game you could at least chose a map that has a layout that can easily be adapted into something that will work for tf2.

oxy

Nov 27, 2007
I agree with Youme. I am doing a port from Day of Defeat. I am doing Kalt, which is already a laid out as a control point map.

My work flow was to import the map and delete everything except the brushes. Then I deleted more brushes to just leave as few as possible in order to maintain the layout. Then I textured all them with dev texture and deleted half of the map ( it is a symmetrical map ) Now I am going back through it and rebuilding everything based on the layout I now have.

Some entities will transfer over but quite a few won't. I would suggest trying something similar to what I am doing. I am no pro but it sounded easier then going about it the way you are.

joshman

May 7, 2008
Thanks guys. I'll do that.

Also, you're re-doing Kalt? Is that that map with 2 areas behind and then that middle area in the summer? or the snowey map with the tunnels?

Also what i did was delete everything but the func_details, brushes, and lights. and worked from there.

Last edited:

joshman

May 7, 2008
Yeah, i played that one all free weekend. That was a fun map.

(BTW Everyone else, i'm still working on this map.)