cp_looneybin

raz0rskyl1n3

L1: Registered
Oct 21, 2008
Looneybin is a 3 point gravel pit style map. With each area different from the previous area. The premise is that Blu are the escaping mental patients, and Red is the security forces trying to stop them.

Each area serves a distinctive theme, or will be themed in a distinctive manner.

Point A represents a heli-pad, an emergency intake to the clinic. The theme is industrial and some spytech. The cap point itself is located on the heli pad, it is flanked by a variety of buildings. The area in itself is rather open, and spaces are rather large. Despite this it pretty much funnels down to 3 direct paths for Blu to take to A. The point is designed now with a variety of sentry spots.

Point B is the actual lobby area. The point itself is in the middle of the lobby, over looking a nice out door area. The area combines nicely with height variation as well. With a upper walk way for Red to defend from, plenty of lower sentry Spots. For Blu, a upper area with a drop down to the lower area. Or to fire down on sentries from. One of the more prominent features is the large open window, with a doorway that allows Blu or red to come at the point from behind. However fall off the balcony leads to certain doom.

Point C is the last area, this area is alpine themed. The C point is on a tower itself, the tower represents the security tower for red. Red actually spawns inside the tower, and has multiple options to reach the top of the tower. C is a nice mixture of open areas and closed areas. The actual tower itself is very open, the pre-emptive buildings are more closed in, and are tightly inter twined. Allowing for easy passage to C, as well as a mini forward bases for Blu, or nice defense areas.

The map is currently A1, and has gone through pre emptive tests, on two separate servers. The map is developed by Andysss456, and SoulNothing. Andy is the developer of cp_gydan. He is very skilled and very helpful in the design process. Soul is a noob mapper, and has caused great hair loss to the very patient Andy. Soul’s main purpose is creative thought process :p.

Thanks To

Captain Mental and the Mental Clinic server for helping us test the early versions.
- The -E}{G- group for internal testing.
- Arhurt (maker of ctf_aerospace) and Icarus (pl_waste) for testing the map with us and giving great feedback.
- Immortal-D and Dr.Pepper from TF2maps.net for great feedback.
- VelvetFistIronGlove for use of his reskinned rock models.
- Mic for use of his heavy weapons guy on a stretcher model and his old wheel chair prop.
- Artesia for use of his development textures.

FpsBanana Link

Pics

Point C
186575.jpg

186574.jpg

Point B

186573.jpg

186572.jpg

Point A

186571.jpg

186570.jpg

AntonJ3000

I am inactive and make horrible maps
Oct 29, 2008
Looks pretty good, but looks like it will be a bit sniper friendly from some directions.
I liked the way you used the skybox farm model on the 2nd Point B picture :p

andysss456

L2: Junior Member
Sep 28, 2008
There is always potential for a sniper overload and in early versions it was majorly so. We've had five internal tests and we have cut down on sniper overpowering a lot. The only area we're still concerned about with snipers is C. You may think that A is too open and that snipers will rule it but surprisingly not.

raz0rskyl1n3

L1: Registered
Oct 21, 2008
Yes this is sorta a bump. :p

Heres two over view screen shots. First is a general, secondary is A.
overhead.png

a-overview.png

A is sorta a stickler for us. We cut it down by a third, then we resized the building in the middle and redid that. It has been tweaked multiple. During recent play testing we have noticed A is easier to defend. Prior to our changes, A was a complete and total steam roll.

With A I noticed 3-5 typical sniper spots. Yes at first it looks sniper friendly. However a lot of these windows are glassed in. Any really good sniper points, are easy to counter act. Especially with a spy. Also factor in a well placed rocket or flare gun. Snipers aren't that big of a deal. Whilst the communication tower offers the best sniper view, it is also the easiest to be counter attacked. I'm a bad sniper but still these are where i was getting my head blown off. I also noted alot of the snipers being taken care of by spies.
sniper.png

This an area of A that was not shown in prior screenies.
cp_looneybin_soul0025.png

Again alot of these windows are covered up its primary purpose was to counteract people getting to the point, it is rather close to the chopping block though.

The vents themselves also act as somewhat of a sniper counter active measure. In the sense they, cover up a good chunk of the body. Making it primarily a upper body and headshot available.

I'm covering mostly A, because I feel rather comfortable about B, there were a few times where blu was able to be stopped completely at B.

We are still looking for some constructive criticism. There are a couple areas we aren't completely comfortable with. We would like feed back to help us to decide what needs to be changed, and what should be kept. We can only gather so much info from a play test. So any help would be appreciated. Saying A is sniper friendly is helpful. I replied to that, it would be nice, to say A is sniper friendly, maybe put some sheet metal here.

Last edited:

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
This map is actually very fun to play, I just wish it didn't have so much unused space around A and C