cp_ghosttown progress journal

roninmodern

L3: Member
Feb 5, 2008
Ok, so I'm working on my map, cp_ghosttown.

Red and Blu have taken over two halves of an old western mining town, designed to look like it's straight out of the wild west.

There's a central CP in the street, then each side has a CP in their barn (the big central building). The barn must be accessed by going through one of the two end buildings that are on the street. After taking the barn, the team's final CP is in their command center that the barn is really a cover for.

First off, the map (NOT TO SCALE!)

Ghosttownmap.png

I'm not too far along, still building it with orange textures. It's fairly small, so building the actual gameplay area won't take long. The extra flavour architecture to give each side its Red/Blu feel will take longer though.

Screen of forward spawn area (left) and a building with access to the barn(right).

cp_ghosttown0000.png

Last edited:

Logo

Oct 25, 2007
Looking good for a start. Might want to think about replacing the chain link fence with something more western styled though.

roninmodern

Feb 5, 2008
Looking good for a start. Might want to think about replacing the chain link fence with something more western styled though.

I was thinking a really tall wooden fence. It will need to be tall enough to justify putting a playerclip above it so a demo man can't get out.

Logo

Oct 25, 2007
Well it doesn't need to be that tall. See things like the guardrail in hydro that's small enough to jump on but you can't. So long as the way the map is laid out it's apparent you can't get past it you could do something even shorter like a bunch of carts/wagons.

roninmodern

Feb 5, 2008
I'll have to play hydro a little just to check that out, thanks!

roninmodern

Feb 5, 2008
Maybe you're missing the spawns in the back. The ones on the street are forward spawns for whoever has the central CP.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
looks good so far, but it looks like you are going to be rendering a lot of the map at once...

roninmodern

Feb 5, 2008
I'm not going to be able to get around not rendering the center at once....the back sections will be much easier to optimize.

We'll see how that goes.

roninmodern

Feb 5, 2008
I don't have the skills to make my own textures :(

Though I would LOVE to have a GIANT world map for each room with the final CPs in them.

Tonight I'll draw a concept sketch of what I'd like each final CP room to look like. I don't think anyone's map has done the whole "evil empire control room" theme yet....

Last edited:

Sacrifist

Nov 21, 2007
You should reconsider the final cps that are right next to the spawnroom if you are planning this map to be in server rotations. Every map Ive ever seen with this setup is never put on a server because of the whiners that complain about the cps being to hard to capture right next to the spawnroom.

roninmodern

Feb 5, 2008
You should reconsider the final cps that are right next to the spawnroom if you are planning this map to be in server rotations. Every map Ive ever seen with this setup is never put on a server because of the whiners that complain about the cps being to hard to capture right next to the spawnroom.

I wouldn't worry about that, that map isn't to scale.

Besides, plenty of the stock valve maps have a spawn right next to the final CP...

roninmodern

Feb 5, 2008
Ok, the main strip of "town" is done, except for the wooden fences closing it in. Once I add those, I'll have a fully enclosed area.

cp_ghosttown0002-1.png

cp_ghosttown0003-1.png

cp_ghosttown0004-1.png

Left to build:

Fences at the edge of the street, barn, underground base, control points, spawn rooms.

Then on to texturing/decorating!