CP cp_canyonpass v5

first published map set over a large canyon

1. [Tryhards] YannYann123

[Tryhards] YannYann123 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    cp_canyonpass - first published map set over a large canyon

mirrored symmetrical 5cp set in an overpass across a canyon
    this is the first map i've ever published (not made), so criticism is very welcome

at this stage the only thing i feel like i have to do is limit a few sightlines, add more props and make the outside look more natural (something i've also never done before properly, so if anyone can send me a tutorial to help with that it'd be appreciated)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  2. Captain Cactus

Captain Cactus L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Some of your models haven't been packed and show up as errors.

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. [Tryhards] YannYann123

Positive Ratings:
    damn, i thought i those were vanilla assets. i'll get to that right away

4. RevolutionTeam

RevolutionTeam L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    To make it feel more natural, use displacements. Small height variations can really contribute to that natural feel. Also, I'd suggest making it more obvious what the teams are fighting over.

5. [Tryhards] YannYann123

Positive Ratings:
  6. RevolutionTeam

Positive Ratings:
    By the way, the same thing about props happened to me. Apparently, external software is required.

"Gee, I do wonder why a software that likely hasn't been updated since HL2's release doesn't handle the entire Frontline! pack being shoved up its ass?"

-RevolutionTeam, while waiting for his map to compile.

7. [Tryhards] YannYann123

Positive Ratings:
    based off of feedback from the recent imp:

-tweaked respawn times and point capture rates

-moved the rocks in front of the forward points (and thus the chokepoints they create) to be in front of the point rather than behind to make it easier for the original owners to defend

-added rocks in front of the midpoint to mitigate a few nasty sightlines

-added signs to help players towards the points with the admittedly confusing forward spawn placements (may move them in the future if they continue being problematic)

-added a few more health and ammo packs (most likely more to come)

-added stairs and a protective fence on the cliff next to the bridge

-removed the jump platforms surounding the midpoint

-last but not least, although having royally screwed up with the props on the bridge despite thinking i packed them with the map, i did away with them and replaced them with vanilla props to remove all the errors (may or may not be a permanent solution)

Read the rest of this update entry...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Captain Cactus

Positive Ratings:
    I've found a couple problems, though most are theoretical since I haven't been able to play this map with actual players. cp_canyonpass_v30000.jpg
    This door height is awfully low, you can't jump without bumping your head.
    cp_canyonpass_v30001.jpg
    People defending second have a serious hike to get back to mid to recapture.
    The defenders of mid have a huge advantage with how much high ground they have.
    cp_canyonpass_v30002.jpg
    I believe that red/blue's last spawns should be swapped as in other 5cp maps last spawn is still on the respective team's side of mid.
    cp_canyonpass_v30003.jpg
    I don't believe it's very worth the risk of being pushed off the cliff for just a small health/ammo.
    Maybe up the sizes to medium or add a fence to prevent being pushed off as easily.
    cp_canyonpass_v30006.jpg
    Blue's spawn faces directly towards their last point rather than out the door to the right.
    Maybe move blue's spawn to the wall opposite of the door so people coming out are facing the door and don't go the wrong way.
    cp_canyonpass_v30004.jpg
    Lastly, this area is just pretty flat aswell as the roof being very low.
    Maybe raise the roof and add some height variation.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. RevolutionTeam

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, a lot of those problems you spotted are actually problems. Trust me, I played it. It was the first time everyone RTV'd off a test.

Last just became a punishment to the offense, because there was no reason to push out. The cap time was too long for last, and too short for mid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. [Tryhards] YannYann123

Positive Ratings:
    quick update mostly to get feedback on the final points redesign

CHANGES:
    -redesigned the final points
    -started work on displacements

TBA:
    -props
    -finishing displacements
    -point capture rates (especially final caps)
    -health and ammo kits (mostly at the points themselves)

11. Captain Cactus

Positive Ratings:
    I'm back again, this time I actually wanted to suggest fixes rather than just pointing out a problem. cp_canyonpass_v3.10003_Edited.jpg
    (Ignore how shitty the edit is) It's pretty much a death sentence to actually defend on the point, there's only one entrance/exit so if you're not a jumping class that's your only way in/out. If the other team pushes onto the point you're just going to get backed up into the corner and die. As the edit shows I think adding staircases on either side would be good because it allows non-mobile classes to reach the upper area and also would give players another escape route. Placing health there would also help defenders stay alive.
    cp_canyonpass_v3.10002_Edited.jpg
    (Again, ignore the shitty editing) I think there should be a bridge that goes across from the point giving attacks more options. While I believe this last point is a huge improvement over the old one, it now only has one route into last. People coming through that route also still have a significant height disadvantage, making a bridge would give them a route that's on relatively the same level.
    cp_canyonpass_v3.10001.jpg Just to end it off with a minor one, this cliff doesn't have a face.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. [Tryhards] YannYann123

Positive Ratings:
    thank you cactusrobot for the suggestions! the end point might get redesigned entirely but i'll look into a those staircases and that bridge!
    Also, yea, none of the cliffs have faces yet, it's my next priority to get all the displacements in order.

13. Captain Cactus

Positive Ratings:
    You should also probably update the screenshots to pics from the new version.

14. [Tryhards] YannYann123

Positive Ratings:
    as the title suggests, more displacements have been added, leaving only the cliff walls. furthermore, control point cap values have been adjusted and a few changes to the forward and final ponits have ben made.

15. [Tryhards] YannYann123

Positive Ratings:
  16. [Tryhards] YannYann123

Positive Ratings:
    redesigned the forward caps and added a few extra props, but i'm deciding wether or not to place the forward points on the platform or elsewhere.

17. [Tryhards] YannYann123

Positive Ratings:
    ended up putting the forwards on top of the platform anyways, since it wasn't of much use otherwise. Also added a 2nd way up to the cap and fixed a few sews.

18. [Tryhards] YannYann123

Positive Ratings:
  19. [Tryhards] YannYann123

Positive Ratings:
    CHANGES

-added a little building besides the forwardcaps, to give a possible flank route to both teams

-moved the midcap building to be a part of the path rather than it being off to the side

-added a few props to midcap

-removed 2 crates from the forwardcaps, because why not?

-made it clearer that yes, the slightly higher outcrops are supposed to be accessible (and thanks to the little building no longer just for explosive classes)

-moved the health and ammo close to the bridge inside the new building

-removed collision from the lamp props you could bump into

20. Captain Cactus

Positive Ratings:
    Here's a missing texture.
    cp_canyonpass_v5 (1)0000.jpg