CP_Blu Mesa

Scotland Tom

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 19, 2008
Nope, swimming slows down the pace of the map. The water will be just deep enough that you can crouch down and put out a fire if need be. Otherwise you'll just run right through it.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Good stuff :D I have a map with a little water in it and if you went into the middle you would wobble up and down as it became too deep to stand and then too shallow to swim, the result was ugly. Fixed now though.
Back on topic, I can't wait to play your map it looks really good :D

Scotland Tom

Jan 19, 2008
Yeah, I'm having that same issue right now too. I had it fixed at one point, then I did the displacement work and now I have to fix it again.

I figure as soon as I get the first two CP's done I'll probably do an Alpha release for playtesting on the first round area while I work on the second two CP's. So, as long as I don't get into a rut or get stuck somewhere, my guess is that the Alpha release should be ready in... oh... a while. :p

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I get an alpha release out within 12 hours of mapping time, otherwise If I spend ages making it look nice it might play terribly and then be hard to change.
Luckily for me I've got a constantly full server handy with a low ping to get alpha maps on, everyone is really posetive about them and points out bugs.

Scotland Tom

Jan 19, 2008
I've got a few friends that help me out, but certainly not a full server to drop a map into whenever I wish. Part of my issue is simply my mapping style. If I were to block an entire map out for a quick alpha release I'd bog myself down later with tweaking all the little mistakes I made in the quick build. I'm already running into that with the building around the first CP.

To offset the limitations I've imposed with my mapping style I spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about the gameplay and the flow of the map. I play other maps to see what works and what doesn't. I do plenty of sketching and I frequently compile my map and hop in to experiment with the various classes and how they might be played. Simply doing those things allowed me to foresee the potential sniping problems I was creating with the basic layout.

Everybody's technique is different. I'm confident mine will pan out, but if it doesn't... well, I'll learn something.

Scotland Tom

Jan 19, 2008
My first post will now be the place to check for new screens and info. The update today doesn't include any new screens, but it organizes information and provides a breakdown of my progress.

I've taken a few days off from mapping, but I'll start again either later today or tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to show off some progress within a few days.

EDIT: Apologies for double posting. I typically only do so if sufficient time has passed and/or I have something new to add worthy of being it's own post.

Scotland Tom

Jan 19, 2008
New update!

Well the first CP is just about completed (see original post for screens.) Still some detailing work to do and perhaps some lighting changes, but overall it's looking pretty good. I've also (finally) begun blocking in the next portion of the map. I've planned myself into a bit of a tough spot with some displacements and curved walls, but I should be able to manage.

Gameplay looks like it'll be good so far. I haven't tested with many people, but with the few that I have it seems like various classes will all have roles to play and avenues of attack/defense to use.

Things are coming along. Slowly perhaps, but I'm pleased.

EDIT: I also have a question to those more knowledgeable than I. In the third screenshot I've posted, in the lower right corner you can see the CP is on a slightly raised platform. The sides of the platform are intended to appear lit. Right now I only have a blank white texture on them, but I would actually like these areas to be a light source. Would it work best to use light entities or change the texture into a light emitting material? What's the best method for accomplishing this?

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Its looking lovely, only a few things I should point out:
First shot - the cliff looks repeated, try stretching your texture (maybe even rotating by about 30 degrees it if the texture loops vertically aswell as horizontally)
The railing fence, casting a nasty shadow, try turning off shadows for them and using a blocklight textured brush for each endpole
Third shot - You have a veeeerrrry strong blue light there, as a rule of thumb coloured lights are a no no. They can look good but if you want to colour an area with lighting instead of textures i'd advise a much, much more muted colour. Also if a red player can get under the blue light they will probably look like a blue player, not so good.
I'd use a light emmiting texture rather than light entities. I don't know a huge deal about them so I can't give mroe advice.
Final shot - I'm not keen on the idea of a glass floor. but thats just a personal preference. It looks like the floor gets quite thin and unstable.
The support beams are too bland, try using one of the metal beam textures on the front facing sides to make them look like some I bars (this font makes the I shape hard to see, but i'm sure you know what I mean)

Edit: In future, bump up your GFX settings when taking screenshots, It makes it harder for people like me (who have gfx settings maxed out) to think it looks good. Also, it doesn't matter if you lag like a bitch whilst taking screenshots, its not like you are actually playing the game at the same time is it?

Last edited:

Scotland Tom

Jan 19, 2008
As always, your advice and input is extremely helpful, Youme!

In regards to the first shot: Thanks for the advice about the fence shadows. I didn't like them either, but I wasn't sure what I could do. As for the cliff texture, yep I agree it's a bit repetitious. I'm not a huge fan of the cliff as a whole simply because it's so plain. I'll mess with the scaling and rotation, but that cliff is one of the reasons that area is only 95% complete. I'd like to do something else with it to make it more interesting, I just haven't decided what.

In the third shot: I generally steer away from a very strongly colored light source like that, but in this case I wanted something to give the room some extra punch. The CP room is otherwise very evenly lit and doesn't have a lot going on. The room in which the light exists cannot be entered, but is there for visual interest. The light prop itself is from the spytech props and is a siren or warning light of some kind with the blue skin instead of the red. Close up it makes sense, but it's something I'm sure I'll be tweaking right up until release.

In the final shot: I thought the glass floor added something to an otherwise fairly architecturally bland room. I also enjoy being able to let players see each other without shooting each other. It actually makes for some interesting strategy. (ie. can I really put a sentry gun where it can be seen through those windows? Can I really use that space under the glass floor to uncloak or disguise as a spy?) In the TF2 universe I think the support structure around the floors is enough to explain away the fact that they may not be the most realistic idea. As for the supports themselves... yeah, probably too bland. I didn't want to use the same metal "I" beam texture I have been using in other areas, but I'll see if I can find something else to use.

Finally, you're right, I didn't bump up my settings this time around. Even though on my computer bumping up to decent screenshot settings gives me an average framerate of about 10, I'll make sure to crank things up for all my future shots. For beta and release shots I'll hand the map over to a friend of mine who has a beast of a machine that will display it in all its glory.

Thanks again for the comments! Since you seem to be the only one keeping tabs here I'll have to trust your advice implicitly.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
For your cliff you should take a look at the gravel pit cliffs. I think you should posibly add in some Zaxis shifting so you have higher bits and lower bits, also, add some rocks sticking out at the top or bottom, Either rock props or some more complicated displacements (not that complex really, just a brush with more than one side as a displacement)
You could add some wooden supports holding sections of the cliff up, like in dustbowl.
I think your metal rooves are just a little bland, I'd think about adding one of those corrugated metal sheet props here and there.
For the glass floor, maybe you should raise the glass up so it is flush (or almost flush) with the top of the floor and add some thin beams underneath the glass in an X shape (corner to coner, not like a window) That would make it look a little more stable whilst still having a see though floor.

Scotland Tom

Jan 19, 2008
Yeah, a friend of mine brought up the glass issue as well. We agreed adding some more reinforcement type bars would probably allow me to keep the glass a bit more realistically. I like your idea on that particularly so that's what I might run with.

I'll probably have to take a solo run through some of the Valve maps again to get some more ideas it seems. Some of the things you've mentioned are part of the reasons I haven't labeled these areas 100% complete yet. Things can always be added/changed.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
long time since the last post about blu_mesa... any new info/screenies?

Scotland Tom

Jan 19, 2008
Thanks for being someone who actually remembers my map, Youme!

I've worked on it a bit, but I ran into a bit of what you might call "mappers block." I had a plan, but as I started mapping it out in Hammer it didn't seem to be going as intended. I also have a few things besides mapping to focus on so a break was almost necessary anyway. I could actually post a few new screens. Perhaps I'll do that sometime today.

Rest assured I haven't forgotten about BluMesa and I'll continue to plug away at it.

Jeebies

L2: Junior Member
Feb 15, 2008
/me encourages and demands an update!

I 2nd that. This map is looking really good so far and I think it would be fun.

I understand mapper's block - I'm experiencing it myself. It helps me to just keep moving to different parts of the map and focusing on different aspects of mapping. When I get tired of doing detail I go to another area and work on layout, etc. Just try not to get bogged down on one thing.