Countryside

DucatiBon

L2: Junior Member
Jan 28, 2009
Had to change the walls So i made a custom texture (kinda) to look similar.

countrysidev.jpg

Last edited:

Westerhound

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 5, 2009
Something to look forward to, as I like alpine so much more than all the desert map (I know they are different, but its still so much SAND).

bomc

Sep 25, 2008
It looks nice so far :) (little question: Do those windmill-wings rotate? it would be cool if they did :p)

Westerhound

Feb 5, 2009
It looks nice so far :) (little question: Do those windmill-wings rotate? it would be cool if they did :p)

He made a thread where he asked if it was possible to make them rotate as they are displacements, so so far no they dont, but hopefully he will find a way to make them ;)

DucatiBon

Jan 28, 2009
I remade them with brush but they dont rotate yet, they will once i figure a way to do it since func_rotate doesnt work in tf2

the only problem Im having right now is the fact that those walls don't have a "bounding box" or whatever so you can walk right through them, I'm trying to find out if the ones that other guy made of the mining theme ones reskined to look like alpine have a box but the download system here is down so i cant try. I e-mailed the dude that made them yesterday to see if he can upload somewhere eles.
if no i was ganna head over to interlopers to see if someone could make the prop into something you cant walk into.

Or see if anyone here can do it.

EDIT: Download system is back up and i downloaded his props but the big wall that he has in the picture isn't in the props he provided so I'm kinda stuck atm

Last edited:

kwagner

Feb 28, 2009
Boojum Snarks tutorial on making things rotate did the job for me. It seems a bit complex, but it works very reliably.

I've an idea for my next map that requires rotation for a good effect. So I was trying phys_motor's connected to stuff, and just couldn't get it to work reliably. Snarks method just plain works. Highly recommended.

Are the windmills blades interactive? Ie: could a fella (a quick fella) jump on one and ride to the top?

DucatiBon

Jan 28, 2009
Ya i got them to rotate with the said above tutorial, but still cant continue till i get collison boxes on those props.

DucatiBon

Jan 28, 2009
Couldn't get the collision models on the props so I had to redo some of my stuff
here is the updated look, I made a texture to compensate for my lose of my prop walls, Hopefully this is even better

and yes I got them to rotate

countrysidev.jpg

Last edited:

DucatiBon

Jan 28, 2009
I could make a simple one but since I did all my cliffs with it, it would get weird seeing rockets explode in weird places when hitting the wall
and to do the entire thing edge by edge would be impossible.

Zeewier

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 20, 2008
Looks good with displacements imo :)
I think those have a very good style :) (looks a bit like pre-searing guildwars, wich is my favorite ingame area :) )

Westerhound

Feb 5, 2009
In my opinion that mountain/hill in the background with a windmill on it looks really odd. The displacements I mean

Bot190

L1: Registered
Sep 25, 2008
I think what Westerhound means is the cliff that the upper and farther back windmill, is on is very small, you wouldn't find a mountain looking like that in nature, well not usually. You should make the mountain extend to the left more into the other mountain.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
I really like to see mills, but they don't look very mill-ish to me - more like a house with blades on it. While those definitely exist and fit into the TF2 style, don't forget to put in some with a shape like this.

DucatiBon

Jan 28, 2009
I really like to see mills, but they don't look very mill-ish to me - more like a house with blades on it. While those definitely exist and fit into the TF2 style, don't forget to put in some with a shape like this.

Not all mills look like that especially, eastern Europe areas and i tried that look and it didn't get the rustic feel i wanted. the building with the windmill will get more additions to it instead of just a square shed looking thing but I'm going to stick with what i have for the windmills

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
I like the shot, but the bottom windmill imo is odd. too close to the ground to get any wind.

I'd put a tall tower right where that blade is and move that blade about twice as high. Especially since the TF2 design style has so many tall skinnny towers in it anyway.

A simple player clip + shape combined into the func_detail blade should be almost perfect. You might also want to add a bullet clip at the same time.