Countryside

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by DucatiBon, Apr 12, 2009.

1. DucatiBon

DucatiBon L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Had to change the walls So i made a custom texture (kinda) to look similar.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  2. Westerhound

Westerhound L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Something to look forward to, as I like alpine so much more than all the desert map (I know they are different, but its still so much SAND).

3. bomc

bomc L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    It looks nice so far :) (little question: Do those windmill-wings rotate? it would be cool if they did :p)

4. Westerhound

Positive Ratings:
    He made a thread where he asked if it was possible to make them rotate as they are displacements, so so far no they dont, but hopefully he will find a way to make them ;)

5. DucatiBon

Positive Ratings:
    I remade them with brush but they dont rotate yet, they will once i figure a way to do it since func_rotate doesnt work in tf2

the only problem Im having right now is the fact that those walls don't have a "bounding box" or whatever so you can walk right through them, I'm trying to find out if the ones that other guy made of the mining theme ones reskined to look like alpine have a box but the download system here is down so i cant try. I e-mailed the dude that made them yesterday to see if he can upload somewhere eles.
    if no i was ganna head over to interlopers to see if someone could make the prop into something you cant walk into.

Or see if anyone here can do it.

EDIT: Download system is back up and i downloaded his props but the big wall that he has in the picture isn't in the props he provided so I'm kinda stuck atm

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  6. shatty

shatty L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
  7. kwagner

kwagner L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Boojum Snarks tutorial on making things rotate did the job for me. It seems a bit complex, but it works very reliably.

I've an idea for my next map that requires rotation for a good effect. So I was trying phys_motor's connected to stuff, and just couldn't get it to work reliably. Snarks method just plain works. Highly recommended.

Are the windmills blades interactive? Ie: could a fella (a quick fella) jump on one and ride to the top?

8. DucatiBon

Positive Ratings:
    Ya i got them to rotate with the said above tutorial, but still cant continue till i get collison boxes on those props.

9. DucatiBon

Positive Ratings:
    Couldn't get the collision models on the props so I had to redo some of my stuff
    here is the updated look, I made a texture to compensate for my lose of my prop walls, Hopefully this is even better

and yes I got them to rotate

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  10. Ceiling Man

Ceiling Man L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    You could've made your own collision boxes by Clipping the prop.

11. DucatiBon

Positive Ratings:
    I could make a simple one but since I did all my cliffs with it, it would get weird seeing rockets explode in weird places when hitting the wall
    and to do the entire thing edge by edge would be impossible.

12. Zeewier

Zeewier L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Looks good with displacements imo :)
    I think those have a very good style :) (looks a bit like pre-searing guildwars, wich is my favorite ingame area :) )

13. DucatiBon

Positive Ratings:
    I'm glad you said that since im going for a look like something you wouldn't see in a fps

14. Westerhound

Positive Ratings:
    In my opinion that mountain/hill in the background with a windmill on it looks really odd. The displacements I mean

15. DucatiBon

Positive Ratings:
    Textures were not lined up when I made the ss but that's only thing I see that's wrong

16. Bot190

Bot190 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I think what Westerhound means is the cliff that the upper and farther back windmill, is on is very small, you wouldn't find a mountain looking like that in nature, well not usually. You should make the mountain extend to the left more into the other mountain.

17. Tinker

aa Tinker

Positive Ratings:
    I really like to see mills, but they don't look very mill-ish to me - more like a house with blades on it. While those definitely exist and fit into the TF2 style, don't forget to put in some with a shape like this.

18. kankle_king

kankle_king L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
  19. DucatiBon

Positive Ratings:

Not all mills look like that especially, eastern Europe areas and i tried that look and it didn't get the rustic feel i wanted. the building with the windmill will get more additions to it instead of just a square shed looking thing but I'm going to stick with what i have for the windmills

20. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    I like the shot, but the bottom windmill imo is odd. too close to the ground to get any wind.

I'd put a tall tower right where that blade is and move that blade about twice as high. Especially since the TF2 design style has so many tall skinnny towers in it anyway.

A simple player clip + shape combined into the func_detail blade should be almost perfect. You might also want to add a bullet clip at the same time.