Coulee

KotH Coulee b4

PL-7764

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 4, 2009
(New promo image coming once I get some image-editing software on my new laptop)

Alpha thread is here.

Last edited:

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Haha, good to see you've exploded some life back into this map, I was never sure what you were going to do with it :3

Gonna go frag some bots on it - get it into gameday too! :D

PL-7764

Aug 4, 2009
Thanks, yeah I'll definitely get this up on Gameday ASAP. :)

In the meantime, B2 may/should be posted pretty soon. It's got several small fixes (a couple props that clipped into each other, the aforementioned minor engie exploit, etc), and also has several big detailing changes; namely, I've filled out a bit more of the higher-up space inside the bases and made the ceilings less ... monotonous. :p As soon as I get screenshots and make sure there aren't any other issues that need fixing, I think I can get it up before the next US Gameday.

PL-7764

Aug 4, 2009
Updated to B2; all changes are in the changelog. I'll submit this one for the next US Gameday.

PL-7764

Aug 4, 2009
The water in your dam is unpakked.

Thanks, I was wondering if they'd work or not (they're in the GCF already, but as model-only textures). I've pakratted them now, and I'll upload the fixed version momentarily.

EDIT: Fixed version uploaded. I hope I got it to work this time...

Last edited:

PL-7764

Aug 4, 2009
Version b2a is up for gameday. Hopefully it works this time, for some reason it's been a nightmare just getting the correct files uploaded...

Apr 13, 2009
Simple but fun. I had a lot of fun playing as an offensive engineer, hiding minisentries all over the place while staying on the move. Same reason why scouts pyros and spys were fun, it's easy to move around and be where you're not expected. It can be a little difficult to make a comeback once the other team gets past the middle arena and into your building.

About the detailing, I'm a little on the fence about one thing : the outer building design, basically the team colored plain texture looks kind of out of place to me

PL-7764

Aug 4, 2009
I had a hard time figuring out how to make it obvious at a glance which base is which, and in the end I settled on those plain team-color textures since I hadn't used them elsewhere outdoors and they made it clear whose base was whose, without breaking the "industrial" look. I think they look alright personally, but if you happen to have an idea for something that might look better I am open to suggestions. :)

PL-7764

Aug 4, 2009
Updated to B3, after a month and a half...! :O
Changes are in the changelog. Mostly just new detailing.

PL-7764

Aug 4, 2009
Updated to B4, at long last...

I've overhauled the environment outside the gameplay area, with a different skybox and lighting setup that might be made fancier in the next version. The cliffs on either side of the dam are now Coalmines props rather than simple displacements. I'd like to know what people think of this new look, as I might change it back since it no longer looks very much like an actual coulee.

The bases are now a little more neutral-looking, but retain enough team coloring that they can be told apart at a glance.

Just general detail addition in and around the two bases besides that.

BUGS:
The observatory dome atop the BLU base now has a flickering issue, where it blinks between proper lighting and being totally shadowed. I'm not sure what's up with that, but I'm hoping to figure it out before the next version. I think it's minor enough that I can release this and fix it later.

Again, please tell me if things aren't packaged properly (the waterfall textures).

Last edited:

PL-7764

Aug 4, 2009
Updated to b4_fix.

Pakrat automatically added the .nav file for the map into the .bsp for b4, which I'm told can cause a server to crash. This one eliminates that problem.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Mid was too open, all the ways to the point were doorways easily camped from the outside.

Not enough height inside meant players got trapped against the ceiling and into corners by explosive spam and pyro blasts.

Way too easy to cap mid and move onto spawn camping by catching a team off gaurd on a particular flank.

I felt this map would play better mirrored than rotated.