Coplanar areaportal and areaportal_window?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Pocket, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Is this... not allowed? I know that if you have, say, two doorways on the same wall and they both have areaportals covering them, they'll be merged into a single one when the map compiles. But if one of them, for some reason, is a func_areaportal_window, does this cause problems? I ask because my latest attempt to compile something is giving me all kinds of "areaportal brush doesn't touch two areas" errors, and after disabling everything except world brushes and areaportals and looking the map over, that's the only reason I can think of.

2. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    you're supposed to be able to mix both without problems. "areaportal brush doesn't touch two areas" usually refers to an areaportal leak

3. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    I know you said you stripped it down to just brushes and areaportals, but just check to be sure your func_detail visgroup is unchecked.

4. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    wait, I had not read "after disabling everything except world brushes and areaportals". don't do that. You need at least one entity in each area so that bsp knows what's inside and what's outside.

5. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    If an areaportal and an areaportal_window merge then the engine is in a pickle.

6. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    It turned out it was a leak; I just saw all those areaportal errors at the bottom and didn't look at the rest of the log because I guess I didn't think it would bother complaining about those if there was a leak.

And it's a moot point anyway because I realized I no longer remembered why I was using an areaportal window in that spot anyway and changed it back to a regular areaportal.