1. On August 16th at 9pm CST, the site will be put in to read only mode for maintenance. Maintenance should not take longer than an hour.

Converting Models Advice?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Darth Cyrax, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Darth Cyrax

Darth Cyrax L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I have a question, or several actually.

I want to get some custom models in my map, but instead of making them from scratch I'd like to convert them. I can get the models in almost any format I need to(well, probably not .smd), so the question is: What would format be the easiest to convert?

Since I'll be downloading XSI(Softimage?) Mod Tool anyway, what formats can it handle(so that I don't have to download another program)? I'm a complete beginner when it comes to models/modelling/Modelling Software, just to let you know.

Thank you very much for your replies, and sorry if this was already answered(I searched the forums and couldn't find any that answered my questions)

2. Altaco

Altaco L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    You can easily import SMD files into XSI.

3. Darth Cyrax

Positive Ratings:
    I was under the impression that smd files are used exclusively by Valve. If it turns out that I can ask for them in this form, I will, but I'm skeptical of those chances.

You know what- I'll give you guys a list of the available formats as soon as I can.
    Thanks

4. Rexy

aa Rexy The Kwisatz Haderach

Positive Ratings:
    If you use GCFScape or Crafty, you can easily obtain the model's files. In most cases, all of the models files. Which means XSI can take nearly any format and make .smds out of anything. So fret not.

5. Darth Cyrax

Positive Ratings:
    Cool. Hopefully this won't be as hard as it seems.