convert mdoel to 16th scale for skybox.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
People seemed to miss or ignore my request in my wip thread so here it is again as it would make a massive impact/difference/improvement for my map.

A large portion of my map is in the "real world" and is only like that for one reason. Because a certain model lacks a skybox version.

Could someone perhaps convert it to a skybox version or something? It sounds like something simple enough but i really don't know anything about modelling so.. atleast i hope it is.

This is the model in question.
conveyer.jpg

See: models/props_mining/conveyor_belt.mdl

Any help would be GREAT. Thanks.. i'll be able to practically half my map size with this.

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
Or, I could tell you how to do it yourself, and you'll be set in the future :)

You'll need 2 programs, CannonFodder's model decompiler (I actually use his Studio Compiler). You'll need to put this in your scourcesdk/bin/ep1/bin folder, make a shortcut somewhere useful.

Next, you need a hex editor, I use Notepad++. You'll need to first use it on the Studio Compiler Program, to change "ToolsAppId" (do a search) to "FoolsAppId".

Then use Notepad++ on the model you want to change, in this case the conveyor_belt. The very first line will say either IDST. or IDST0, delete the last character and replace it with a ,

Now, load up the model with Studio Compiler (need to have steam running), and go to the Decompile Tab. Change it so that the only box checked is "Do Not Fix rotations on animations"

Now you're able to decompile your model.

Go to the directory you extracted the model to, and open up the .qc file. It can be done with Notepad, or Notepad++. For an idea of what should be here, look at Hawks modeling tutorial. You're interested in the $scale line (it may need to be added). You should also edit the output, which is the $modelname so that the directory is different.

Finally, compile it by simply drag/dropping on studiomdl, which is found in your sourcesdk/bin/orangebox/bin (again, its helpful to have a shortcut somewhere).

H'okay, I hope that helps :)

Opps, forgot to add a link to the program. *Note* I haven't downloaded this, so I can't be sure its function correctly/virus free, sorry.

http://www.chaosincarnate.net/cannonfodder/studiocompiler.php

Last edited:

Cerulean

L3: Member
Sep 12, 2008
Any help would be GREAT. Thanks.. i'll be able to practically half my map size with this.

You must have a really small map? Not sure how much of a difference it will make... I might try to do it though.

edit: I think I get it... since this isn't scaled down, you cant use it with the rest of the 3d skybox stuff?

edit2: k I tried. attached I think.

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
It's kind of small... but it's boundaries are MASSIVE. Half is kind of an over exageration for the means of emphasise of how helpful this would be.

Thanks for this.. but it doesn't look like you scaled it to 1/16th. It's the same size only rotated 90 degrees. :O

You'll be sure to get into the readme if you can do this ;)

Much appreciated!