Convection

Feb 18, 2009
(download unavailable at the moment, will be fixed in the morning)
I'm not the fastest mapper in the world, I have other thing to do as well ya'know, but I've finally managed to release this map. Because of my hectic schedule, and the crudeness of this map, I probably wont get get to add much to that Change log. Anyway, mapping it is practice and fun.:thumbup:

No distinct theme but contains the Blu industrial giants, and the Red large scale farmers with some mining going on by the mysterious grey team in the background.

Please tell me what you think, but don't be too harsh, I will only listen to constructive criticism.
However, please bare in mind these things will probably change depending on your testing:
  • Hardly optimised at all
  • Might need to review health + ammo location (please comment)
  • Add some more changes in height
  • Improve lighting
Thanks.

Also thanks to the makers of the custom models + materials I've used:
  • Shmitz: Intel base model and the tf2maps "tree feller" poster
  • Swamp Pack Team: tf2maps/TF industries overlay and the intelligence sign model
  • And of course the creators of the Novint and tf2maps models and overlays

Last edited:
T

The Asylum

Spawnroom-to-spawnroom is never a good thing.

Hello campground.

Mr.Late

L7: Fancy Member
Nov 27, 2009
ctf_convection_a10012.jpg

-Intels and spawns are too close each other. I just have to turn around corner and there is the intel.

ctf_convection_a10013.jpg

-Spawncamping is a problem. Especially when there are more than 12 players.

Mr. P. Kiwi

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 22, 2009
A good solution could be adding another exit to the spawnroom (as well as some windows)...
And you should really make a longer way to the intel (for the team who owns it) an engi can build there a level 3 sentry in no time (+Dispenser)!
Good luck with that

Feb 18, 2009
I agree with putting another exit from spawn, and it will probably go into that battlements area.
In your opinion should it go from straight from spawn or from one of the corridors?
(corridors is easier but doesn't matter too much)

Also I'm trying to solve the base-to-intel speed problem with various small tweaks, and the intel position has changed (hopefully giving more power to the defending team)

Finnally, if I can be bothered to do it in a2, a little height will be added (you go down a few stairs to the intel... you'll see what I mean).

Pc_Madness

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 31, 2009
Just had a play, firstly you need to build your cubemaps so everything doesn't come out pink . :p Secondly, you need to nobuild your spawn, I had a sentry inside the door next to the intel, opened it whenever someone came along. I also think the middle area is way too opened, and not enough alternate routes, and the intel is kinda just chucked in a corner :\ It'd be nice if it had its own room like other CTF maps (with multiple entrance points of course).

Just my 2 cents. :)

Feb 18, 2009
Just had a play, firstly you need to build your cubemaps so everything doesn't come out pink . :p
still no cubemaps (so don't shout at me :angry:)

Secondly, you need to nobuild your spawn, I had a sentry inside the door next to the intel, opened it whenever someone came along. I also think the middle area is way too opened, and not enough alternate routes, and the intel is kinda just chucked in a corner :\ It'd be nice if it had its own room like other CTF maps (with multiple entrance points of course).
whoops! forgot that, cheers!

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
There's a big issue with how close the spawns are to the enemy intel. You can pretty much walk out the door and right into their room. Move these way back behind each team's intel room instead.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Your map is tiny. It did make it fun, but it also made the 20 second respawn feel like forever.

Your forward spawn exits out flank each other... which poses a bit of a gameplay issue. It means you can flank an assault that just crossed the middle, directly from spawn.

The exits from the spawn buildings were rather small, although this didn't really suffer from direct camping, this was partly as a result of how obviously easy it would be to spawn camp that politeness kept it from occuring until near the end when the scores were stacked 18-5. So skewed were the scores that people just started taking the piss.

I didn't notice the route through the building until the end of the map when i went to see where my team was (spawn camping). Probably because it was raised from the ground like that.

You need to make your path through the building more significant. Make them larger rooms rather than corridors as well.

Where you have the windows, replace it with a proper battlement, one that is a floor high like 2fort would probably compliment this layout.

ctf_convection_a2test20001.jpg

You had a clip bug in the middle too, you couldn't walk over the grey pipe from one side. Can't remember about from the other direction.

Also, your intel room needs to be distinctively seperate from the rest of the map. Remove the pillar that causes the entrance to form 2 seperate doorways as well, it funnels players into a position where they phsyically get pinned by explosives.

ctf_convection_a2test20000.jpg

Last edited: