Controlling access to a teleporter or button for gimicky maps - steam ID? password?

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

eviljelloman

L1: Registered
Apr 29, 2012
Hey guys,

I am making a trade server map that will have a lot of "gimmicks" - like environmental damage areas that can be switched on or off by pressing a button. Ideally, I'd like to limit access to these buttons to moderators or other special users, so they aren't pressed every 30 seconds and being over-used.

I know one way to do this is by putting all the buttons in a room only accessible via noclip, but that is somewhat ugly, and depending on server policies may not be readily granted to the users who should have access to these functions

Another way to do this might involve server-side plugins, maybe having everything be triggered by text commands or something? I really have no idea on this end, since I've never run a server, but it seems like it might be a pain to set up by whoever ends up running the server where this map is placed

Are there any ways to do this on a purely map level? Could I somehow password protect a button, other than making the user shoot a series of buttons in a specific sequence? Could I check the user's steam ID against a known list? Could you suggest some other crazy technique for limiting access to a certain area or function to only certain users?

I'm really looking for brainstorms at this point - I have no good thoughts on how to accomplish this, and I'd like to see if I have any options at all, on the map side, to pull this off.

T

The Asylum

That's the problem with gimmick maps, they're a real pain to get working like you want them to.

The only other way aside from plugin trickery I can think of on a map-level is a button sequence like you mentioned. I know in TFC there used to be a key item that players could find and use to unlock doors, but I'm 99% sure that's not available for TF2.

eviljelloman

L1: Registered
Apr 29, 2012
That is kind of what I was thinking.

I might have to search for a simple plugin that allows mods/donators to be teleported to a predetermined spot. I would assume something like the "skybox" command plugins used on some trade servers would be what I was looking for. The main issue is getting it implemented when I am just making the map and probably won't have much in the way of access to the server.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
There's no way to check a steam id inside the map. You don't want that anyway, or you're updating the map every time someone needs to be added or removed.

You've got to tie into a plugin or use a noclip room. Maybe make a semi-complex string of button presses (ie, shoot the scarecrow, then the resupply cabinet, then the truck, then the bell, then the intercom while standing at a specific place) that sends them to the room.