KotH control_tower

supersniperguy

L1: Registered
Jan 30, 2011
The RED a BLU team have found an abandoned airport to transport their weapons and supplies. They must fight over it to gain control of it! This is my first map so there needs to be some improvements so be nice :)
Recommended class limits:
Scout: 3
Engineer: 2
Sniper: 2

Last edited:

Zhan

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 18, 2010
It looks way too open: it seems like snipers (and scouts) are pretty much going to be the only useful classes here. You need to think about closing in areas, removing long sightlines, adding more cover in open areas, and adding vertical space (like routes to the point through upper floors and balconies. Currently, I think it'll play very similarly to orange_x3, which is probably not what you want.

Also, you need to think about adding buildings and making spaces more interesting so this map doesn't end up being a large box filled with too many props, which is essentially what you have here. Try using walls and buildings for cover instead of shipping containers.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
You need to seperate this space into several smaller areas, seperated by solid structures/geometry and skybox brushes. This cuts down line of sight, increasing performance and gameplay (by bringing players into comfortable ranges; IE preventing the map from being a sniper/scout only deal).

Deloras

L2: Junior Member
Aug 20, 2009
The first rule of fi... Map club is: You do not release your first work.

The second rule of map club is: You DO NOT release your first work!

Mr. Wimples

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 27, 2010
Now for what Deloras said I don't think that's true.
You SHOULD release your first map so you can get feedback on what NOT to do. This is a prime example. this doesn't look balanced at all in any way shape or form unless you planned on it being a sniper-duel type thing, which many here don't condone anyway. I recommend taking a look at the decompiled valve maps in hammer and the links in Grazr's signature (along with other stuff and tutorials), both of which gave me lots of insight into how maps SHOULD be build and balanced.

Deloras

L2: Junior Member
Aug 20, 2009
Then it might be because I'm too perfectionist. It took me quite a while and I've done a lot of projects before I released something... I went through the first steps of mapping without releasing anything, because I knew I was still learning how to do things.

Anyway I agree, if it can help you to get feedbacks, it's better to release your work. But keep in mind that the more you're unsatisfied with your work, the more you can progress and do something better.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
There is a point that maybe releasing the first 'work' you do in Hammer isn't a good idea. A lot of times mappers can be pretty 'sloppy' learning how the tool works. Once you have a good understanding of it it's easier to make a 'proper' map.

However I hate blanket statements like 'don't release your first map'. It really takes nothing into account. And if you already made a map, but didn't show it to anyone, then release the next one people will still stay 'don't ...first map'.

-----------
That being said I think Koth is a great mode to learn with. Balance is pretty easy side to side, you just need to work on class balance.

Like everyone said, you need to close it in more, think about how you can do that with an airport. Some hanger buildings would be the most obvious choice of cover.

The tower also doesn't need to be stand alone, it can have hallways going off each side to other buildings (terminals)
----------
And I wouldn't expect anyone to zip it up for you, it's easy to learn.

7 zip can make zips OR bz2 files. All you have to do is check a box.