Control Points Map Layout?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by friken_chiken, Apr 9, 2012.

1. friken_chiken

friken_chiken L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I wanted to know what you guys think is the best layout for a control point map, I already have a vague idea what the layout would be like but I just wanted to check with you guys what is the best layout... Thanks, also do you know of any good examples which have been incorporated into other maps?

2. Jeremy

Jeremy L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm going to assume you mean a standard 5cp map.

The ideal layout for this map would be something looking a bit like a figure of 8 (if it's a rotated map) or a 0 (if it's a mirrored map) with the center being where the center point is; otherwise it could just be like an S shape. However, some maps (such as Granary and Coldfront) have rather straight layouts, but are still fun and well-optimised. Take a look at the layouts of some push maps and note down what features are used to make the map good.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  3. Vaconcovat

Vaconcovat L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Could you clarify?

Do you mean: 5CP (PUSH), Attack / Defend Multistage, Attack / Defend Pyramid (A+B=C) or TC?

4. xzzy

aa xzzy

Positive Ratings:
    The best layout is the one that players think is the most fun.

If you discover a formula to accurately predict what players will find fun, make sure to patent it and become the richest man in the world.

• Thanks Thanks x 6
  5. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    Place all the control points in a disjointed space connected by beams of light that players need to grind on to reach the other points.

6. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    The best layout is probably A Colossal Pillar Of Wasp Eggs hope this helps

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. heyyou

heyyou L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I have the secret cp formula but will never share it muhahaha.

Actually don't have it. I feel that unfortunately it can be long process to land a great layout. Study other successful maps and learn about proper/good spacing. Also map dynamics play a major role.

8. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    My maps are all based around the idea that you can reduce the apparent distance between control points by twisting an S into something completely different. It results in having second and last points very close together, but a lot less travel time.

9. friken_chiken

friken_chiken L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for your replies guys, much appreciated! I will take your advice to my advantage and attempt to make a successful control points map!