Control Points Map Layout?

friken_chiken

L1: Registered
Apr 9, 2012
I wanted to know what you guys think is the best layout for a control point map, I already have a vague idea what the layout would be like but I just wanted to check with you guys what is the best layout... Thanks, also do you know of any good examples which have been incorporated into other maps?

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
I'm going to assume you mean a standard 5cp map.

The ideal layout for this map would be something looking a bit like a figure of 8 (if it's a rotated map) or a 0 (if it's a mirrored map) with the center being where the center point is; otherwise it could just be like an S shape. However, some maps (such as Granary and Coldfront) have rather straight layouts, but are still fun and well-optimised. Take a look at the layouts of some push maps and note down what features are used to make the map good.

Last edited:

Vaconcovat

L3: Member
Jan 15, 2012
Could you clarify?

Do you mean: 5CP (PUSH), Attack / Defend Multistage, Attack / Defend Pyramid (A+B=C) or TC?

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
The best layout is the one that players think is the most fun.

If you discover a formula to accurately predict what players will find fun, make sure to patent it and become the richest man in the world.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Place all the control points in a disjointed space connected by beams of light that players need to grind on to reach the other points.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
The best layout is probably A Colossal Pillar Of Wasp Eggs hope this helps

heyyou

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 19, 2009
I have the secret cp formula but will never share it muhahaha.

Actually don't have it. I feel that unfortunately it can be long process to land a great layout. Study other successful maps and learn about proper/good spacing. Also map dynamics play a major role.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
My maps are all based around the idea that you can reduce the apparent distance between control points by twisting an S into something completely different. It results in having second and last points very close together, but a lot less travel time.

friken_chiken

L1: Registered
Apr 9, 2012
Thanks for your replies guys, much appreciated! I will take your advice to my advantage and attempt to make a successful control points map!