Continuity. Test yer thinkin skillz

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
...yes it is and you said why the sentence before. I UNDERSTAND how it's supposed to work, but there's actually NO NEED for black and white to connect. As long as two slides are connected, they are put together. That's my whole point.

Jesus.

ar·bi·trar·y (är'bĭ-trěr'ē)
adj.

1. Determined by chance, whim, or impulse, and not by necessity, reason, or principle: stopped at the first motel we passed, an arbitrary choice.

There is a definite reason and principle that determines when two slides are connected, and this reason goes BEYOND them simply touching. In fact, this reason is stated in the game's name. Do I need to quote the definition of "continuity" to you as well? You obviously do not understand how the game is supposed to work if you think being able to move from one panel to the next is arbitrary.

Fearlezz

L10: Glamorous Member
May 4, 2008
If you ask me, I think its a boring game, stopped playing when I saw lvl 8

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
ar·bi·trar·y (är'bĭ-trěr'ē)
adj.

1. Determined by chance, whim, or impulse, and not by necessity, reason, or principle: stopped at the first motel we passed, an arbitrary choice.

There is a definite reason and principle that determines when two slides are connected, and this reason goes BEYOND them simply touching. In fact, this reason is stated in the game's name. Do I need to quote the definition of "continuity" to you as well? You obviously do not understand how the game is supposed to work if you think being able to move from one panel to the next is arbitrary.
I'd respond but I already said the same thing three times in this topic and I'd just do it again now. Instead, a picture:

continuitylulz.jpg

So in the game, you wouldn't be able to put these two slides together and walk inbetween them. That's arbitrary because you actually, in my mind, should be able to. It is, Shmitz, not determined by reason or necessity. The, again in my mind, additional, arbitrary rule that all walls have to fit doesn't quite follow common sense.

Last edited:

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Then how would the puzzle work? You could just stick the beginning and end tiles together and be done.

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
Then I guess the level design would have to keep that in mind? You couldn't anyway since it still works like these sliding tile puzzles, no swapping.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
How it works is not arbitrary, but yes the decision for it to be that way is.
But then all games are full of "arbitrary" rules that the developers just decided they wanted in their game. There is no reason a scout should be able to double jump but that's just how it is because it fits the goal of the game. :/

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
I guess so, but in TF2, you are told that Scouts can double-jump. The first time I put two slides together in Continuity and couldn't walk from one to another (even though the space was, to me, free) I didn't really know what was going on.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
That's true, but the game (a lot of web games actually) are designed to teach you the rules over the first few levels through practice rather than reading. You are supposed to run into the invisible wall and then have to figure out what is going on.

cornontheCoD

L420: High Member
Mar 25, 2008
You are demonstrating that you know absolutely nothing about game design, and how the rules of play are developed and set to create a game.

You guys are right, the best games teach the player through play, not text. But the way they did it in this game, at least for me and Trotim, didn't work. You can talk as much as you want about how good game design is this and that, and I agree with you, but the fact of the matter is, many people are confused and frustrated by the mechanic. The important pert being frustrated. I ran into the same problem as Trotim, and thought that maybe the puzzles factored in the colors of the slide also (if you look closely, the slides are slightly different colors. They are off-white). I can't think of a better way to present the mechanics of the game, but I do think they should have designed the game differently or taught the player better.

Last edited:

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
The mechanic probably would have been more obvious and intuitive if unconnected tiles had a red bar between them, or some other visual cue for when sides could be traveled between.

However, if a mechanic is unintuitive, even subjectively, that does not make it arbitrary. The requirement of the black and white portions matching up is no more arbitrary than basketball's rule stating you have to dribble the ball. It's a core part of the game, an idea that everything else is built around. It is deliberate and clearly planned.

cornontheCoD

Mar 25, 2008
The mechanic probably would have been more obvious and intuitive if unconnected tiles had a red bar between them, or some other visual cue for when sides could be traveled between.

However, if a mechanic is unintuitive, even subjectively, that does not make it arbitrary. The requirement of the black and white portions matching up is no more arbitrary than basketball's rule stating you have to dribble the ball. It's a core part of the game, an idea that everything else is built around. It is deliberate and clearly planned.

I will agree with you there, I don't think arbitrary is the right word for it.

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
Well excuse me for being German and not knowing a better word for what I meant D;

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
The fact of the matter is you cannot do it, and you cannot do it as it is intentionally a part of the game mechanic. You find out the first time you run into the wall and cannot pass through (with buzz sound and push animation), and that is that. I'm not entirely sure what the problem is when it's simply a game mechanic that allows the game to be played with stricter rules, making it more difficult/challenging.

Being able to pass through as you desire would completely break the point of the game. It would be like giving all players in TF2 noclip as standard. What would be the point in the walls and greater environment then.

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
The fact of the matter is you cannot do it, and you cannot do it as it is intentionally a part of the game mechanic. You find out the first time you run into the wall and cannot pass through (with buzz sound and push animation), and that is that. I'm not entirely sure what the problem is when it's simply a game mechanic that allows the game to be played with stricter rules, making it more difficult/challenging.

Being able to pass through as you desire would completely break the point of the game. It would be like giving all players in TF2 noclip as standard. What would be the point in the walls and greater environment then.
I can't use all these sophisticated, intelligent-sounding words you and Shmitz seem to love. But I already mentioned that too, geez: The levels wouldn't be the same if the rules of the game were different, so that's no argument.
Noclip Sandman battles were fun back in the day.

cornontheCoD

Mar 25, 2008
You find out the first time you run into the wall and cannot pass through (with buzz sound and push animation),

I didn't. I thought the puzzles had something to do with the colors of the panels or something. If the game had taught it better or just stated it in the instructions, it wouldn't be a problem.