Contest map configs on our server

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
I'll be making wildcard configs (ctf_mapname_*) for each contest map that removes the capture limit so that they can be tested under proper scoring conditions at any and all times.
edit: and removes capture crits, timelimit 23
no spreads, no random crits

I will check the map forum now and then for new maps labeled as contest entries, but if I happen to miss your map feel free to post here.

So far I have them up for:
sabotage
assembly
vortex
alaska
yellowstone
sandvichcredit
arid
home_front
clocktower
aqueduct
bristen
nutomic
stockpile
soda
falcon
pinewood_valley
wildfire
norma
rippleside
solar
hidden
mercy
nodrifts
deadline
acquiesce
livestock
isis
cis
opposite
lockdown
fusion
dare
mexico
agriculture
paramidia
cloudburst
fogbow
chicane
bedrock
vitalism
solvent
wastedmeerkat
reactor
deliverance
feudlands
monument
flash
pytholos
wiretap
converge
snowsquall
autumn
gumption
union
stormdrain
slope
geneseefalls
convection
underhanded
hayloft
2cube
agenda
raditude
dammed
agency
frostgully
summit
bog
lumberlost
landfall
arsenal
glug
danger
drain
syphon
terminal
runoff
manicmine

Last edited:

Flame

aa
Jul 19, 2009
I still think you should set an engi limit on the server for this. there were some asshats on TPG's map today and blue team had 5 sentry guns sitting on and around the intelligence.

Dont give me that "get an uber demo and take em out" bs either because some of the map layouts make it hard to get multiple people into the enemy base at a time. CTF is also a notoriously hard medic gamemode.

If you want fairness you probably should consider limiting engis to 2 on the servers, at least until the contest is over. Otherwise people like TPG will get shat on scorewise due to morons playing a team of all engis.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
I'd have to see if the class limit plugin isn't broken any more and/or find another one. I'm not going to deal with tournament mode. You could try yelling at people too if there are too many. 5 of any class on any map is stupid.

Flame

aa
Jul 19, 2009
Idk how the scoring works anyway. since this is comp ctf obviously 12v12 data wont give you accurate scoring.

Engis and teams of multiple heavies and scouts will skew it. obviously 12v12 all scouts on atrophy will rack in more points than 12v12 all engis on well.

Imo the scoring shouldnt be done unless the test is in a 6v6 manner, otherwise its skewed, and youll have people sabotaging eachother's maps during testing (not that anyone is that malicious but if I had a map and was losing by .2 caps a minute I'd probably try to slow down the other guys)

idk we'll see how it plays out i guess. you'd also probably benefit from 2 engi limits always anyway. if your team cant win a pl map with one to 2 engis, your team doesnt deserve the win anyway.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
im against limiting any class to 2, 3 minimum, preferably 4
preventing people from from choosing what classes they want isn't going to help balance very much...restrict it to 2 engies and the map may seem perfectly balanced, then remove it and suddenly you realize engies are op...
That said, 5 is a bit retarded, and you might have just considered telling them they had 5 engies, some of them would have switched, if not, kick one.

though...since your making these per map configs, people could just request certain class limits for their map specifically

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
Idk how the scoring works anyway. since this is comp ctf obviously 12v12 data wont give you accurate scoring.

Engis and teams of multiple heavies and scouts will skew it. obviously 12v12 all scouts on atrophy will rack in more points than 12v12 all engis on well.

Imo the scoring shouldnt be done unless the test is in a 6v6 manner, otherwise its skewed, and youll have people sabotaging eachother's maps during testing (not that anyone is that malicious but if I had a map and was losing by .2 caps a minute I'd probably try to slow down the other guys)

idk we'll see how it plays out i guess. you'd also probably benefit from 2 engi limits always anyway. if your team cant win a pl map with one to 2 engis, your team doesnt deserve the win anyway.

What do you mean when you say "scoring?"

Flame

aa
Jul 19, 2009
ok than who in this forum isnt going to request 0?
lets be realistic here. its a 12v12 server. if 1/3 of both teams is playing engis, the other 2/3 will not enjoy it half as much
2 is a good number. This is a COMP ctf competition. not a pub ctf competition. limit the engis.

And @ Dr.Spud
MAP WILL BE SCORED ON TOTAL FLAG CAPS PER TIME - NOT FIRST TO NUMBER OF CAPS. Remember this when designing your layouts.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2007
This is a COMP ctf competition. not a pub ctf competition. limit the engis.
Yes, and I'm sure many of us want to see how well our maps work for pub play too, since that's a much larger (if perhaps less prestigious) audience.
Hard class limits during the 6v6 contest map gamedays are good; but at other times are probably inappropriate.

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
1) I don't see how using comp scoring makes a map's play "skewed" when it's not 6v6. I mean what's the worst that could happen, one team wins by a lot? That's not much worse than one team winning 3-0 with regular scoring.

2) Class restrictions are obnoxious with full servers - I'd really want to avoid them. Plus remember that this isn't the first time we've ever tested CTF maps, and I've never before had a problem with people stacking engineer and ruining a test. It sounds like what happened was a fluke.

Last edited:

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
This is a COMP ctf competition. not a pub ctf competition. limit the engis.

You see...i absolutely knew this would come up...

You are testing it on a 12vs12 server, you will get 12v12 feedback, trying to transfer that in any way to 6v6 feedback is just going to come back flawed

and to be perfectly honest, if 1/3 of the team is playing any class neither team will be having as much fun as they could

Flame

aa
Jul 19, 2009
You see...i absolutely knew this would come up...

You are testing it on a 12vs12 server, you will get 12v12 feedback, trying to transfer that in any way to 6v6 feedback is just going to come back flawed

and to be perfectly honest, if 1/3 of the team is playing any class neither team will be having as much fun as they could

What does that even mean? How is limiting engineers to 2 a bad idea, since thats my entire argument

Westerhound

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 5, 2009
What does that even mean? How is limiting engineers to 2 a bad idea, since thats my entire argument

Since people like to have possibility to play any class they want. Thats pretty much all there is. Then if 5 people are engineers it ruins the test of course, but, shit happens. You shouldnt change the game for everything just cause it fails once in one map.

Flame

aa
Jul 19, 2009
gonna go out on a CRAZY LIMB and say people will survive if they cant play engineer on a ctf map.

Grab the intel? thats crazy talk.

Still havent seen one person tell me why its a bad idea other than "shit happens" and "people want to play engineer"