Contest Events

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
How are contest events planned? do you guys have a schedule or is it a spur-of-the-moment sort of thing? Who gets to start contest events?
I'm wondering because my personal schedule is busy everyday, but I'm a little flexible. I can make it to contest events if I had prior knowledge when they would begin.
It's important that I can play the maps as much as I can before the voting thread comes up, and some structure or warning would help a lot.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
As far as i can tell it's when ever chat is full enough to warrant a spur of the moment test, ontop of the gamedays having been replaced for 2 weeks by this contest rotation. Buuuut, probably best for an admin to confirm that. I havn't been able to attend yet.. but hopefully next week. I didn't manage to participate in creating a map, the least i can do is cast a vote and appreciate the incredible amount of effort that everyone else has applied.

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
As far as i can tell it's when ever chat is full enough to warrant a spur of the moment test, ontop of the gamedays having been replaced for 2 weeks by this contest rotation.
This. Gamedays have been temporarily replaced w/ contest testing. Beyond that, it's basically whenever enough people feel like getting in some more play time. Grab 5 friends, and the server usually fills up by itself. If any of the staff are available, you can ask for a Steam announcement as well.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
Grab 5 friends, and the server usually fills up by itself.

Myth, only works for very well known maps

But yeah, I am virtually always available to play if I'm online, and ive been enjoying the event every day thing up until today <_<
People just don't like tuesdays for gaming for some reason

And im pretty sure booj has been switching up the rotation frequently so all the maps get played. Though I'm not liking that I still haven't played slate :p

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
I started one big contest testing 3 days ago I think, all the maps got tested. :p But that event wasn't planned before though.

Edit: What Immortal said, is kinda true, since I started with a few people to search some bugs in a map, and the server filled up after 30 minutes. :p

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Contest Testing hasn't *replaced* Gameday as far as I can tell. I was under the impression that it would literally replace Gameday for 2 weeks.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
The idea, as far as me stopping gameday testing, wasn't to replace those events with contest ones, but merely to prevent overload of times/reasons to play lessening how much the contest maps got played.