Complex brushwork vs. T-junctions problem

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by REEJ, Sep 17, 2010.

1. REEJ

REEJ L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    1. I made this nice brushwork building elevated on wooden timbers (so it stands out out of water)
    2. tied it to func_detail (since it's meant to actually be just a 2 level platform)
    3. and then I it was time to meet the "too many T-junctions to fix" limit

I've read everything I found (and I think I'm retarded or something, after I tried to understand it all with my tiny brain, the logical "fixes" don't work)

Elevated the whole func_detail complex in air so it doesn't touch ANYTHING and that didn't change crap. Why do I get T-junctions if the func_detail complex isn't touching anything other than it's own parts? Are the separate parts considered world geometry while they are tied by func_detail as a whole or what?

The more I read the less sense it all makes to me.
    The further I go with these superstitious guides the more I rage.
    Can't turn the thing into model, since it's an early alpha stage, don't even have the textures yet and I obviously wanna test the map as I progress.
    :facepalm:

2. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    To avoid them, tie problematic faces to an entity, not func_detail. Func_lod and func_brush's are good starts. As is also converting the face to a displacement.

Oh, and also note, as you have noticed, func_detail's will cause this problem to adjacent func_detail's, as they are "fake" entities.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Loc_n_lol

Loc_n_lol L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Or you could use propper and turn it into a model, if you don't mind the vertex lighting.

EDIT: nevermind. reading 'till the end failure. :facepalm:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  5. REEJ

REEJ L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Good note. These things i made could even be non-solid if that would fix it, I'd just have to put some player_clip on surfaces of importance

Yeah, but apart from this, all I read about propper is that it's not working and believe me, I'm terrible at this kinda stuff so i probably don't stand a chance to ever get to use it.

6. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    propper works fine for me (except it doesn't write multiskin props' last skin into .qc)

there. now not all you've read about propper is that it doesn't work :p
    besides, you don't have to make the thing into a final model. make a temporary testing one, then remake it as you progress

also remember that if you use func_lod, stickies might not stick to it

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Loc_n_lol

Loc_n_lol L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    It used not to work with the orange box version of the engine, but now it all works like a charm. You can get the latest version and starting tutorials on the Valve Developer wiki. ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1