Complex brushwork vs. T-junctions problem

REEJ

L420: High Member
Aug 26, 2010
1. I made this nice brushwork building elevated on wooden timbers (so it stands out out of water)
2. tied it to func_detail (since it's meant to actually be just a 2 level platform)
3. and then I it was time to meet the "too many T-junctions to fix" limit

I've read everything I found (and I think I'm retarded or something, after I tried to understand it all with my tiny brain, the logical "fixes" don't work)

Elevated the whole func_detail complex in air so it doesn't touch ANYTHING and that didn't change crap. Why do I get T-junctions if the func_detail complex isn't touching anything other than it's own parts? Are the separate parts considered world geometry while they are tied by func_detail as a whole or what?

The more I read the less sense it all makes to me.
The further I go with these superstitious guides the more I rage.
Can't turn the thing into model, since it's an early alpha stage, don't even have the textures yet and I obviously wanna test the map as I progress.
:facepalm:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
To avoid them, tie problematic faces to an entity, not func_detail. Func_lod and func_brush's are good starts. As is also converting the face to a displacement.

Oh, and also note, as you have noticed, func_detail's will cause this problem to adjacent func_detail's, as they are "fake" entities.

Apr 13, 2009
Or you could use propper and turn it into a model, if you don't mind the vertex lighting.

EDIT: nevermind. reading 'till the end failure. :facepalm:

Last edited:

REEJ

L420: High Member
Aug 26, 2010
To avoid them, tie problematic faces to an entity, not func_detail. Func_lod and func_brush's are good starts. As is also converting the face to a displacement.

Oh, and also note, as you have noticed, func_detail's will cause this problem to adjacent func_detail's, as they are "fake" entities.

Good note. These things i made could even be non-solid if that would fix it, I'd just have to put some player_clip on surfaces of importance

Or you could use propper and turn it into a model, if you don't mind the vertex lighting.

EDIT: nevermind. reading 'till the end failure. :facepalm:

Yeah, but apart from this, all I read about propper is that it's not working and believe me, I'm terrible at this kinda stuff so i probably don't stand a chance to ever get to use it.

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
Good note. These things i made could even be non-solid if that would fix it, I'd just have to put some player_clip on surfaces of importance

Yeah, but apart from this, all I read about propper is that it's not working and believe me, I'm terrible at this kinda stuff so i probably don't stand a chance to ever get to use it.

propper works fine for me (except it doesn't write multiskin props' last skin into .qc)

there. now not all you've read about propper is that it doesn't work :p
besides, you don't have to make the thing into a final model. make a temporary testing one, then remake it as you progress

also remember that if you use func_lod, stickies might not stick to it

Apr 13, 2009

It used not to work with the orange box version of the engine, but now it all works like a charm. You can get the latest version and starting tutorials on the Valve Developer wiki. ;)