Completed wave 666 - My advice for people who wants to do the same

Ælement

Comfortably mediocre
aa
Dec 21, 2010
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/577845243052124950/03CD534A8142971C23D17D32B346381F3EA45CBA/
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/577845243050968900/5B1BD96A197F7D317039CFDB1D18933FA4ECC2C8/

So yeah... I did it. Along the way, i noticed some things that might be of interest to people who are struggling with that mission. Some of them might be obvious, but i assure you that not all of them are ;)

1) Collect cash. You can collect about 7500$ during the round, which will allow you to upgrade yourself to insane levels. (You will also need lots of buybacks and canteens)

2) Keep up an insane damage output. The last tank has no less than 60,000 hp just to name an example. Do not have anymore than 2 support classes (which would prefferably be a scout and a medic)

3) At one point, a swarm of charged giant soldiers will come with über medics. A pyro can upgrade his crit resistance, buy some über canteens and do insane amounts of damage by airblasting the crockets back, killing the medics before they can react.

4) Return to upgrade and refill your canteens whenever you can. Running out of canteens at a bad moment can cost you the victory

5) At one point, tanks will come up while flanked by an endless swarm of spies. Try to stand in corners while shooting at the tank with crit canteens. This will make the spies unable to attack you, because they try to walk over to your unexposed back.

6) After the last (and strongest) tank has been destroyed, waves of critboosted soldiers, demos, heavies, bowmen, scouts and giants will come, one after one. If you haven't already at this point, HAUL ASS BACK and max out your crit resistance. You should also get some übercharge canteens for this last, exhausting part of the wave.

7) Try to keep a defensive parameter around the bomb. If it's not picked up for a period of time, it will be sent back to the bots spawn, buying you precious time.

8) Sometimes when the bomb has been reset, it won't respawn until all robots in the area has been killed. Take note of this, and make sure to take these parts with ease. Upgrade, rebuild and make sure not to use canteens here.

If you have more tips, post them below and i will add them (if they are good :) )

Last edited:

Baraleth

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 8, 2008
yeah that 96 spy wave was tough, but my team managed to do it. We had a brass beast heavy, two Phlog pyros, an engi, krits medic, and a buff soldier. I'm surprised nothing was given at the end of that wave and its not on the Mann up mode. As the heavy, try to get most of your resistances up at the start as you'll need them. Then slowly upgrade everything else. Engineers should build up their sentry firing speed and dispenser range so the heavy can get ammo. Two way teleporters is a must in this wave

Omnomnick

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 16, 2009
It isn't on Mann Up mode because its only around for a short period of time and is extremely difficult, meaning that many people wouldn't finish it in the given time. Also, it feels like the MvZ variant was rushed as hell, so that might explain why there is no items for it.

Mar 23, 2010
i see no downside to running a lot of demos. it really helps with the uber medics dropping, can do damage without showing yourself to the 1 hit kill direct hit soldiers + the crocket soldier, and is decent at getting the 96 spies (~150 damage stickies at feet).

also dont get stuck with 2 noob engies who dont use wrangler

also for you custom wave makers, i think this superwave is much more fun than the expert waves or any other.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I don't see medics being as useful as any other class frankly. I haven't beaten it but I think more DPS is more important than someone staying alive 5 more seconds, because that's all a medic is realistically gonna do in this wave. If you're gonna die, it's not because you have no medic, it's because you bought the wrong upgrades. Spend money on krit canteens and damage increases rather than running a medic imo.

GPuzzle

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 27, 2012
Finished it as a Scout. Every single wave was exausting. Then, I can say that uber canteens and Bonk make you an unkillable money machine. At the last wave, defenders will keep the height advantage. Get down there, get the money, run back. Repeat. Dodging abilities are the difference between surviving and winning or dying and losing.

GPuzzle

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 27, 2012
That's true. I can't say much, I was always collecting money, dodging bullets and projectiles.