Compiling

Katame

L1: Registered
Apr 7, 2011
I am having issues understanding how to compile a hat in tf2 as well as weapons. I have read the tutorial on here and I am still having issues. :confused: I have the programs mentioned and managed to size my items and export them as .smd files but I am lost from there. I just don't understand were I get the QC files what they are really and how to use them. I tried studio compiler and don't know what to use for the reference. I am just completely lost. :crying:

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
A QC file is a file YOU create that tells the compiling program, and the game, everything about your model, such as reflectivity properties, location of your texture(s), whether it should be dynamic or static, etc.

For example, this is my QC file;
$cd "<address to whatever folder your .smd is>"
$staticprop
$modelname "props_aly\pillar_001"
$model "body" "pillar_001.smd"
$cdmaterials "\models\props_aly\"
$surfaceprop "wood"
$sequence idle "pillar_001.smd" loop fps 10.00
$collisionmodel "pillar_001_cm.smd" {
}
cd is the full address to the doled with your SMD, and your qc
Staticprop tells the game your model is static only
Modelname is the name of your model, obviously
Model is for body groups, just leave it as body and your filename to begin with
Cd materials is the folder with your vmt texture files
Surfaceprop is what decals and sound your model is associated with in game. Wood, stone, concrete etc
Sequence is for animations, but you need an idle one, like above.
Collision model is the filename of your collision model. Don't forge the curly brackets.

You can just paste that (and edit it to your model, obviously), into any text editor, though I recommend notepad++, as it can be used for the compiling too.
Then, what I do, is open the .qc in notepad++ (which you can find online), hit F6, and in the command window type this

"C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\<yoursteamusername>\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\studiomdl.exe" "$(FULL_CURRENT_PATH)"

Hit run, and it compiles for me if everything is right. Easy!

Last edited:

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
This VDC page helps a ton when messing around with .qc's. Bookmark it.

Katame

L1: Registered
Apr 7, 2011
Thanks a lot guys, you're awesome! >^.^<

Okay, at this point, I've got a qc file that I think might work. However, my notepad++ doesn't have anything about compiling to a QC file. How do I get it to do that? Is there some plug-in I need for it?