Compiling .QC error help?

Nytillion

L1: Registered
Jun 29, 2012
I don't know if this is the right subforum to post this in, my apologies if it is not. Please move this to the correct section.

Okay, so I was working on my pyro misc item. I tried putting it through itemtest, but then itemtest broke and after going through a few tutorials, I've assembled a folder with my model, idle.smd stolen from the grodbort backpack, and a qc file.

My .qc file reads:

$cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\nytillion\team fortress 2\tf\mycontent\MilGra"
$modelname "player/items/pyro/custom_militarygrade.mdl"
$model "Body" "militarygrade.smd"

$cdmaterials "models\player\items\pyro\"
$cdmaterials ""
$texturegroup skinfamilies
{
{ "redcolor.vmt" }
{ "blucolor.vmt" }
}
$hboxset "default"
$hbox 0 "prp_fuelTank" -5.668 -25.096 -6.345 9.861 15.795 4.559
// Model uses material "redcolor.vmt"
// Model uses material "blucolor.vmt"
$surfaceprop "plastic"
$illumposition -0.893 2.097 -4.651
$sequence idle "idle" loop fps 30.00

---

And then when I go to compile it I get

ERROR: cannot find bone prp_fuelTank for bbox
ERROR: Aborted Processing on 'player/items/pyro/custom_militarygrade.mdl'

---

I can comment out '$hbox 0 "prp_fueltank"...' and then it compiles, but when I go to test it in TF2 it gives me a message that says "Wearable item: backwards min/maxs"

Beyond that, the mdl is not viewable in the model viewer.

---

So, I would like a good amount of help here. I'm new at this and have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. It's a learning experience, but I've run a few google searches and couldn't find a good answer

Feb 18, 2009
prp_fueltank is the name of the bone that the model you decompiled attaches to. If you're using the same bone, then you need to skin your model to it then export both the armature and the model together as one smd. I think you can get away with only exporting the armature as that single bone or maybe with the root bone too, but I'm not sure about that. See what armature the decompiled model had use those same bones.

Nytillion

L1: Registered
Jun 29, 2012
The model is skinned to it fine, I think.

I'm not sure why this doesn't work, the whole qc is based on the moonman backpack, so it should work, but it doesn't.