compiling issues

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by wonkasnout2, Jul 27, 2017.

1. wonkasnout2

wonkasnout2 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    When I compile my map, it takes HOURS to do so, and always ends up freezing and not actually loading. It gets stuck on portal flow. I know that means I have a lot of complicated brushes and i need to make more func_details, but thats not the strange part. I could usually load up my map and test it ingame in a few minutes, no problem, but I am confused why now it fails. I am pretty sure the last thing I did before this started happening was making details in the skybox with all those tiny house props and such. Since then ive deleted all that and the problem still occurs.
    I would like to know what is causing this and how I can fix it, or if I can load up an earlier save or somthing.

plz help meh

2. Da Spud Lord

aa Da Spud Lord L0: Crappy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Compile log?

3. wonkasnout2

Positive Ratings:
    can't, if I click on it it will freeze and hammer crashes (my computer is a potato), do u if I can get the log any other way?

4. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    Only run VBSP, errors that pop up during that stage will cause the rest of the compile to quit working completely and it saves you from having to wait hours on an already faling compile.

5. wonkasnout2

Positive Ratings:
    can you re-word that in a way an idiot could understand?

6. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    The first stage of the compile is VBSP. It generates the world geometry and a portal file that the 2nd stage, VVIS, uses to calculate visibility in a map and then VRAD takes the BSP and puts lighting information into it (see a visual guide here: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/w/images/b/b6/Source_Mapping_Pipeline.png). Now, if any errors occur during the VBSP stage such as leaks or invalid brushes or some really complex geometry VBSP can fail to finish and it won't spew out a BSP file that VVIS and VRAD (lighting calculations) use, so they will revert to using the last successful BSP that was spat out by VBSP. If that's an unoptimised hell, yeah, compiling will take hours and hours (and a slow PC won't help that either), but if you tell the compiler to only run VBSP it'll save you all the hassle of having to wait hours and hours just to test a thing. It'll still spit out errors but now you have a chance to actually get a compile log which you can run trough http://interlopers.net/errors?page=errors this amazing online log error checker). Now I wouldn't know how to disable the last two compile stages via Hammer since I used CompilePal since day one of using Hammer where it's as simple as unticking some boxes. Check it out here: http://compilepal.ruarai.com .

EDIT do what Werewolf said below, then run the log trough what I linked above. And then probably still learn CompilePal. It's amazing.

7. Werewolf

aa Werewolf Probably not a real Werewolf

Positive Ratings:
    Do this:
    [​IMG]

It should still generate a compile log in the Compile Process Window. You can then copy the contents of that window here, or into the Interlopers Log Checker

8. wonkasnout2

Positive Ratings:
    Okay, I ran my map with those settings, and put my log into interlopers.

** Executing...
    ** Command: "C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vbsp.exe"
    ** Parameters: -game "C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_landscape.vmf"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Jun 14 2017)
    4 threads
    materialPath: C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\materials
    Loading C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_landscape.vmf
    ConVarRef mat_reduceparticles doesn't point to an existing ConVar
    Patching WVT material: maps/koth_landscape/nature/blendgroundtogravel007_wvt_patch
    Patching WVT material: maps/koth_landscape/cp_mountainlab/nature/groundtograss001_nodetail_wvt_patch
    fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
    ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (2)
    ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (2)

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-2726.7 -608.1 373.3)
    Leaf 0 contents:
    Leaf 1 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID
    viscontents (node 0 contents ^ node 1 contents): CONTENTS_SOLID
    This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID
    Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID
    Candidate brush IDs: Brush 77025:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-2720.0 -608.1 264.4)
    Leaf 0 contents:
    Leaf 1 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID
    This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID
    Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID
    Candidate brush IDs: Brush 77025:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-3072.0 -609.4 267.5)
    Leaf 0 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID
    Leaf 1 contents:
    Candidate brush IDs: Brush 4934:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-3072.0 -609.4 264.0)
    Leaf 0 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID
    Leaf 1 contents:
    Candidate brush IDs: Brush 4934:

Processing areas...done (0)
    Building Faces...done (0)
    Chop Details...done (0)
    Find Visible Detail Sides...
    Merged 418 detail faces...done (0)
    Merging details...done (0)
    FixTjuncs...
    PruneNodes...
    WriteBSP...
    done (1)
    writing C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_landscape.prt...Building visibility clusters...
    done (1)
    *** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_well_01_hdr weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
    Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_well_01_hdr to build the default cubemap!
    *** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_well_01_hdr weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
    Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_well_01_hdr to build the default cubemap!
    Finding displacement neighbors...
    Finding lightmap sample positions...
    Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
    Building Physics collision data...
    WARNING: Map using power 4 displacements, terrain physics cannot be compressed, map will need additional memory and CPU.
    done (2) (1636616 bytes)
    Placing detail props : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
    Compacting texture/material tables...
    Reduced 1676 texinfos to 1254
    Reduced 109 texdatas to 107 (2554 bytes to 2428)
    Writing C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_landscape.bsp
    Wrote ZIP buffer, estimated size 1609, actual size 1261
    30 seconds elapsed

** Executing...
    ** Command: Copy File
    ** Parameters: "C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_landscape.bsp" "C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\maps\koth_landscape.bsp"

** Executing...
    ** Command: "C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\hl2.exe"
    ** Parameters: -game "C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" +map "koth_landscape" -steam

And I got this:
    findportalside: couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-2726.7 -608.1 373.3)

Do u know what this is? I plugged in the coordinates and didn't notice anything that looks particularly evil looking.

9. Da Spud Lord

aa Da Spud Lord L0: Crappy Member

Positive Ratings:
    In other words, first check for a leak. If there is none, play around with the geometry near the given coordinates/brush number. Try to simplify it if possible. If you're using the carve tool, don't. If all else fails, just delete the area and recreate it.

10. DrSquishy

DrSquishy L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Use compile pal, this won't happen. Also, when it freezes, don't force quit it. it actually is still working and will unfreeze when done. use CTRL + SHIFT + ESC to actually see if it is VVIS, VRAD or VBSP going on

11. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    Finally, the compile log is saved to a file next to the vmf file. So even if its been years since the compile, you still have access to the last compile log.