compiling issues

wonkasnout2

L1: Registered
Jun 25, 2017
When I compile my map, it takes HOURS to do so, and always ends up freezing and not actually loading. It gets stuck on portal flow. I know that means I have a lot of complicated brushes and i need to make more func_details, but thats not the strange part. I could usually load up my map and test it ingame in a few minutes, no problem, but I am confused why now it fails. I am pretty sure the last thing I did before this started happening was making details in the skybox with all those tiny house props and such. Since then ive deleted all that and the problem still occurs.
I would like to know what is causing this and how I can fix it, or if I can load up an earlier save or somthing.

plz help meh

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Only run VBSP, errors that pop up during that stage will cause the rest of the compile to quit working completely and it saves you from having to wait hours on an already faling compile.

wonkasnout2

Jun 25, 2017
Only run VBSP, errors that pop up during that stage will cause the rest of the compile to quit working completely and it saves you from having to wait hours on an already faling compile.
can you re-word that in a way an idiot could understand?

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
The first stage of the compile is VBSP. It generates the world geometry and a portal file that the 2nd stage, VVIS, uses to calculate visibility in a map and then VRAD takes the BSP and puts lighting information into it (see a visual guide here: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/w/images/b/b6/Source_Mapping_Pipeline.png). Now, if any errors occur during the VBSP stage such as leaks or invalid brushes or some really complex geometry VBSP can fail to finish and it won't spew out a BSP file that VVIS and VRAD (lighting calculations) use, so they will revert to using the last successful BSP that was spat out by VBSP. If that's an unoptimised hell, yeah, compiling will take hours and hours (and a slow PC won't help that either), but if you tell the compiler to only run VBSP it'll save you all the hassle of having to wait hours and hours just to test a thing. It'll still spit out errors but now you have a chance to actually get a compile log which you can run trough http://interlopers.net/errors?page=errors this amazing online log error checker). Now I wouldn't know how to disable the last two compile stages via Hammer since I used CompilePal since day one of using Hammer where it's as simple as unticking some boxes. Check it out here: http://compilepal.ruarai.com .

EDIT do what Werewolf said below, then run the log trough what I linked above. And then probably still learn CompilePal. It's amazing.

Werewolf

Probably not a real Werewolf
aa
Apr 12, 2011
Do this:
orIcZDT.png

It should still generate a compile log in the Compile Process Window. You can then copy the contents of that window here, or into the Interlopers Log Checker

wonkasnout2

Jun 25, 2017
Do this:
orIcZDT.png

It should still generate a compile log in the Compile Process Window. You can then copy the contents of that window here, or into the Interlopers Log Checker

Okay, I ran my map with those settings, and put my log into interlopers.

** Executing...
** Command: "C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vbsp.exe"
** Parameters: -game "C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_landscape.vmf"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Jun 14 2017)
4 threads
materialPath: C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\materials
Loading C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_landscape.vmf
ConVarRef mat_reduceparticles doesn't point to an existing ConVar
Patching WVT material: maps/koth_landscape/nature/blendgroundtogravel007_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/koth_landscape/cp_mountainlab/nature/groundtograss001_nodetail_wvt_patch
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (2)

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-2726.7 -608.1 373.3)
Leaf 0 contents:
Leaf 1 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID
viscontents (node 0 contents ^ node 1 contents): CONTENTS_SOLID
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID
Candidate brush IDs: Brush 77025:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-2720.0 -608.1 264.4)
Leaf 0 contents:
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-3072.0 -609.4 267.5)
Leaf 0 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID
Leaf 1 contents:
Candidate brush IDs: Brush 4934:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-3072.0 -609.4 264.0)
Leaf 1 contents:

Processing areas...done (0)
Building Faces...done (0)
Chop Details...done (0)
Find Visible Detail Sides...
Merged 418 detail faces...done (0)
Merging details...done (0)
FixTjuncs...
PruneNodes...
WriteBSP...
done (1)
writing C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_landscape.prt...Building visibility clusters...
done (1)
*** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_well_01_hdr weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_well_01_hdr to build the default cubemap!
*** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_well_01_hdr weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
Finding displacement neighbors...
Finding lightmap sample positions...
Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Building Physics collision data...
WARNING: Map using power 4 displacements, terrain physics cannot be compressed, map will need additional memory and CPU.
done (2) (1636616 bytes)
Placing detail props : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Compacting texture/material tables...
Reduced 1676 texinfos to 1254
Reduced 109 texdatas to 107 (2554 bytes to 2428)
Writing C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_landscape.bsp
Wrote ZIP buffer, estimated size 1609, actual size 1261
30 seconds elapsed

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_landscape.bsp" "C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\maps\koth_landscape.bsp"

** Executing...
** Command: "C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\hl2.exe"
** Parameters: -game "C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" +map "koth_landscape" -steam

And I got this:
findportalside: couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-2726.7 -608.1 373.3)

Do u know what this is? I plugged in the coordinates and didn't notice anything that looks particularly evil looking.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Okay, I ran my map with those settings, and put my log into interlopers.

** Executing...
** Command: "C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vbsp.exe"
** Parameters: -game "C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_landscape.vmf"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Jun 14 2017)
4 threads
materialPath: C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\materials
Loading C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_landscape.vmf
ConVarRef mat_reduceparticles doesn't point to an existing ConVar
Patching WVT material: maps/koth_landscape/nature/blendgroundtogravel007_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/koth_landscape/cp_mountainlab/nature/groundtograss001_nodetail_wvt_patch
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-2726.7 -608.1 373.3)
Leaf 0 contents:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-2720.0 -608.1 264.4)
Leaf 0 contents:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-3072.0 -609.4 267.5)
Leaf 1 contents:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-3072.0 -609.4 264.0)
Leaf 1 contents:

Processing areas...done (0)
Building Faces...done (0)
Chop Details...done (0)
Find Visible Detail Sides...
Merged 418 detail faces...done (0)
Merging details...done (0)
FixTjuncs...
PruneNodes...
WriteBSP...
done (1)
writing C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_landscape.prt...Building visibility clusters...
done (1)
Finding displacement neighbors...
Finding lightmap sample positions...
Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Building Physics collision data...
WARNING: Map using power 4 displacements, terrain physics cannot be compressed, map will need additional memory and CPU.
done (2) (1636616 bytes)
Placing detail props : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Compacting texture/material tables...
Reduced 1676 texinfos to 1254
Reduced 109 texdatas to 107 (2554 bytes to 2428)
Writing C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_landscape.bsp
Wrote ZIP buffer, estimated size 1609, actual size 1261
30 seconds elapsed

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_landscape.bsp" "C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\maps\koth_landscape.bsp"

** Executing...
** Command: "C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\hl2.exe"
** Parameters: -game "C:\Users\Jack\Desktop\STeam stuff\Steam, and all its shit\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" +map "koth_landscape" -steam

And I got this:
findportalside: couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-2726.7 -608.1 373.3)

Do u know what this is? I plugged in the coordinates and didn't notice anything that looks particularly evil looking.
Description:
This error is usually followed by something like this:

Leaf 0 contents:(may vary)
Leaf 1 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID (may vary, e.g. CONTENTS_WATER)
viscontents (node 0 contents ^ node 1 contents): CONTENTS_SOLID (ditto)
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal
has CONTENTS_SOLID
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents
CONTENTS_SOLID
Candidate brush IDs: [none or more brushnumbers]
Usually, this error is caused by a leak, so fix it if it is.
If it isn't, there is a (group of) brush(es) that is/are giving vbsp.exe a hard time to figure out your level.
Apparently it cannot determine the boundaries of a certain portal. Maybe there is a large brush covering the area, maybe the area is just to complicated for poor vbsp to figure out.

I don't know the details but usually turning entities to world brushes or vice-versa helps to fight the problem. Hell, just cutting a brush in two once helped me fight this problem.

Solution:
Find the given coordinates (or if a brush number is given search for the brush number) and see what you can do to to simplify the area (like turning brushes to func_detail). You should also check to see if the brushes are overlapping at any point.

See also:
Finding brushnumbers and coordinates
In other words, first check for a leak. If there is none, play around with the geometry near the given coordinates/brush number. Try to simplify it if possible. If you're using the carve tool, don't. If all else fails, just delete the area and recreate it.

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
can't, if I click on it it will freeze and hammer crashes (my computer is a potato), do u if I can get the log any other way?
Use compile pal, this won't happen. Also, when it freezes, don't force quit it. it actually is still working and will unfreeze when done. use CTRL + SHIFT + ESC to actually see if it is VVIS, VRAD or VBSP going on

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Finally, the compile log is saved to a file next to the vmf file. So even if its been years since the compile, you still have access to the last compile log.