Compiler concept

a2h

L2: Junior Member
Sep 18, 2008
I was thinking that I could get Hammer to pass compiling instructions directly to another program, or have something registered to another function key for compiling, because I kind-of don't like the current compiler screens.

Well really, the idea came from me wishing for some screen that remembered your map and automatically embedded files of your choosing, and remembering them for later, because opening pakrat repeatedly was annoying me. The idea later evolved into a full blown replacement compiler frontend.

Even if you think it's useless and I actually find it's possible and make it, well hey, at least I've just helped myself along with C#, because I'm still not too good with it.

Or maybe I'll just do the file including part.

Anyway, yeah, the concept.

Last edited:

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Well really, the idea came from me wishing for some screen that remembered your map and automatically embedded files of your choosing, and remembering them for later, because opening pakrat repeatedly was annoying me. The idea later evolved into a full blown replacement compiler frontend.
If you use the tool included in the SDK, BSPZIP, you can make a text file listing all resources to be included in your map and then have BSPZIP run at the end of the compile. Pretty much accomplishes the "remembering" part you want, except you have to manually list all the files (only once though).

For using something else than Hammer to set up the compile there are Batch Compiler and Valve Batch Compile Tool.

Vigilante212

L420: High Member
Dec 21, 2008
I think if you can get it to work, more power to ya. using one slim program as opposed to multiple programs.

Now all you need to come up with is a custom soundscape maker that does all the coding for ya :)