compile never ends

Mar 23, 2013
The player only has to be able to see any visleaf touching the func_viscluster for them to render all of them, regardless of if they can even see the volume or any of the other leafs.
[...]
However this also means that if you can see a tiny part of this open area that you have a large viscluster in, then you will render all of it

I'm pretty sure this is wrong as well. The func_viscluster tells all leafs can see eachother WITHIN its volume, not that a leaf outseide can see all of them in the volume.
Look here: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Func_viscluster
Again, viscluster only exist to speed up copile time without affecting performance which would be untrue if they work like you stated.

And by the way, it actually dosnt matter if a viscluster goes through a hint brush like I thought. Since it still cuts the leafs and naturally those can see eachother anyway since nothing is blocking visiblity. Woobs

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
I am 95% sure you're incorrect, and the wiki is just being vague. All leaves inside being able to see each other will cause what I'm describing.
@Egan can you please post that picture from watergate where you used this to aid?

Again, viscluster only exist to speed up copile time without affecting performance which would be untrue if they work like you stated.

This has to be untrue, they definitely affect performance. If it wasn't, why are they not used everywhere if they only affect compile time? We could get like 5 second vvis on compex maps if this were true!

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2013
I see you have edited post #20.
You know what? why dont we just reconstruct that in hammer and test it out to see if the wiki is bollocks or not. brb

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
As I understand visleaf and visclusters, Aly is correct in what she is saying. A viscluster, while it may or may not merge visleaves, can lead to lowered FPS if used incorrectly because it tells all vvisleafs within its volume they can all see each other. If your vvisclusters are merged, touching or overlapping, they will all 'see' each other, and thus, you're rendering more than you should.

There are very, VERY few cases when you should be using a vviscluster. If you're using them to lower VVIS compile time, you have a far more serious issue that must be resolved.

Mar 23, 2013
Welp, I rebuild Freja's sketch and turns out that you are right, every leaf outside the cluster that can see a bit of the cluster can suddenly see all leafs inside the cluster.
God damn it, can't believe the wiki and Tophatwaffles tutorial is leaving out so important informations -_-
Have a thanks for that

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I'm not sure why it took 2 pages and 4 or 5 people to convince you, but I'm glad you finally figured out what I was saying to begin with.

Last edited:

EmNudge

L4: Comfortable Member
Sep 23, 2015
well this wasn't at all what I asked for, I'm gonna go ahead and not read a single word of your argument and never use visclusters I guess.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
When I said viscluster, I wasn't referring to the entity. I was referring to one of the datastructures the game uses. A structure that is not the same thing as visleaves. They are very related, but not the same. The entity func_viscluster really does merge visclusters.

ics

http://ics-base.net
aa
Jun 17, 2010
So in a summary we could say avoid using visclusters, unless you know what you are doing.

Only good place where i've seen them used is the outskirt areas of goldrush that player has no access to. There is no need to vvis calc them but i don't think they save much compile time or framerate anyway.