Compile Hang

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Kraftwerk, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Kraftwerk

Kraftwerk L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Im having a compile problem, but unfortunately, I can't get the compile log because everytime I do compile, it gets stuck right here:
    Code:
    portalflowsomething 1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...
    Any suggestions? Im doing some minor optomizing right now, but its a really annoying problem :/

2. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    What do you mean with "it gets stuck"? How long did you wait for the compile to finish? For a detailed map, compile can easily take two hours or more, if you dont know ;)

3. Kraftwerk

Positive Ratings:
    Oh I know, when I say it gets stuck: Each increment prior takes about a minute (1 2 3 4) this one 9... to 10 got 10 minutes before I called it frozen.

4. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    It's how VIS works as far as I know. The further into the process it gets the more time it spends calculating. If it takes a very long time then you need to optimise your map using the link Nine provided.

6. Ravidge

aa Ravidge Grand Vizier

Positive Ratings:
    Hammer doesn't freeze when compiling, even though it may seem so. If you wait long enough, it will finish.
    1...2...3...4...5 should all be pretty quick, 6+ is where it starts slowing down considerably, you probably need to cut down on all the needless visleaves! Nineaxis link above should help answer any questions.

Depending on what stage of development your map is in, you can expect different compile times. A first alpha should not take much longer than a few minutes while a Fully detailed map with hdr settings can take over an hour to finish.

Edit: silly me, posting the same link as nine :p

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Kraftwerk

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for all the help guys, Its working great, so mf_2castle should have a DL link shortly!

8. Tapp

Tapp L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hold on, when you say that is just looks like it's stopped, do you mean the mouse as well? Because with mine, the mouse freezes up. Sorry to steal the topic, but you don't seem to be needing it much longer.