Compile error and Troublesome Sprite

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Cyberen, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Cyberen

Cyberen L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hey guys, second thread today!

First question:
    I'm making a map in TF2 and I want to add a sprite. So I made an image with a sprite with an alpha channel but not only does the sprite not show transparency but it also is turning from the side instead of the center. It shows as transparent in VTF edit, but not on the sprite or on a brush. Is defining the texture as a $sprite making the transparency not work?

As for the origin, the problem is, env_sprite doesn't have an origin option in the properties! Here's the vmf of it, let me know what I can do to make this centered.

Question two, my map isn't compiling and I can't figure out why. No leaks, no pointfile, no portal file either. No displacements are in groups or func_details. I'm wondering why. I do have a skybox which has some func_details and displacements but that's it. Any ideas?

2. McLovin

McLovin L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    pasting your compile log in here outputs "brush 20499: floatplane: bad normal side 0 texture: mario_kart_64/blocks_yellow"

one of your textures is aligned wrong. it's recommended to just delete the brush it's on and start over. you can find more help regarding how to find the brush on the page i linked, but i'd try pressing alt + p first, since that is what i'd do if i had a problem in my map.

as for your sprite, i'm not really well-versed there, but did you close Hammer, reopen, and then compile when you added it?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Cyberen

Cyberen L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks, the compile error is fixed, as is the centering (since it's determined in the vmt).

EDIT: I made the sprite have transparency by changing the VMT from a Sprite class to an UnlitGeneric class.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021 at 2:27 AM