Community Project [Concept]

Which gametype?

• Total voters

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
If this goes official, (which, due to the nature of it it just well could do) will everyone get community weapons? :p

This is highly unlikely to go official. due to the massive number of people that have worked on it, every single one of them has t obe tracked down by valve and they have to ship agreements to all of them, then if any one of them decides not to sign it they can't ship it. If it all does go to plan they then have to pay all of them. it would be a nightmare for them.

SiniStarR

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Mar 31, 2009
Swamp theme could be cool, but if we take what Youme has said above about it not being going official and all (which I agree with him on), then perhaps Swamp may be a bad idea considering, the Swamp Pack is optional and you don't download it via Steam Servers, which means if this map gets completed, we would have to pakrat possibly the entire Swamp Pack with the map, and if were doing TC (which is still in debate atm) this map could be huge in filesize even when compressed, and that would be just a big map for the public to download.

Im just making an observation, who knows , I could be wrong XD

Anyways, I vote for an alpine theme because it gives you the ability to use, different kind of areas, like mountainy areas, lumber areas, cliffs,caves, etc.

FreeLance_FoX

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 6, 2008
I'd help out where I could. This idea of a tc koth map set in a swamp is getting me all exciterated!!! :3

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
I wasn't aware valve payed people for maps. I thought you just signed an agreement. Interesting.

Regardless, I'm still happy to help.

Jamini

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 14, 2008
Due to limitations in the VB software, I need to make a seperate post for new polls. The new poll is [ame="http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=9323"]here [/ame].

The options for our map have been cut down to TC KOTH, A/D CP 6P, and A/D CP 5P Steel-like.

Jamini

Nov 14, 2008
Currently I'm working on making a proper entity setup for TC-KOTH as it seems to be the most popular gametype idea. I apologize to anyone that wanted to do entity work, but I want to make absolutely sure this works properly before we even begin. Don't worry however, there will be PLENTY more entity work left to do before the end of this.

On another note, KOTH TC is working currently in a crude form. Right now I'm working on the crossover cp and hiding unused cps on the HUD. I will keep you posted.

(by the way, if anyone knows a way to dynamically HIDE a cp on the HUD, please feel free to mention it.)

Peterm

Banned
Jun 1, 2009
i'll help where's the vmf?

they would be broke to pay all of us

ye i'd be happy to add anything :p btw if it's in space i made some ok space skybox textures

This isn't twitter. You shouldn't be making three tiny single-thought posts within two minutes. merged. - ABS

Last edited by a moderator:

Owlruler

L12: Fabulous Member
Dec 10, 2008
they would be broke to pay all of us

They pay a set amount, and split it up between the contributors, so they wouldn't be broke and also, do you know of the edit button or are to trying to horde posts?

Jamini

Nov 14, 2008
Peterm, we haven't started yet. Right now we are determining what type of map we are going to do.

A quick question for everyone who's still participating: How do you feel about having the two crossover rounds sharing a layout? It would make this entire project much easier on all participants (crossovers are a bitch to do well. Hydro failed at it, and Meridian even has some issues with them). This would give us five total possible subrounds, and two final rounds.

Last edited:

Zwiffle

Jun 24, 2008
That's how I'm doing it in my TC/KotH map, one point in the middle, and the two crossover paths use that one layout (with some small changes.) This is fine because each corner of the middle area is a bit different, and the two corners that aren't being used are largely blocked off, so it really does feel like a different stage. That does mean however that the middle point should be exceptionally well designed and provide for two different, albeit similar, stages depending on which crossover you're playing. It will probably be tricky to do, and will most likely require the most work.

As for testing, should we focus on one stage at a time and work it up to a reasonable degree, then move to an adjacent stage (like we start with A<->B, then B<->C, etc) or try to get the whole map up and running in general at one time? In theory I would prefer working on one part until its running decently and gameplay is fine, then move along to other areas, because then should be able to more easily make each stage separate from other stages, and we can be pretty sure that balance of one stage is mostly taken care of, etc etc.

Jamini

Nov 14, 2008
I can agree that feels like a logical way to do things. Once we have the independent KOTH zones created we can work on connecting them believably. My only concern is that we really will not be able to playtest said zones together... unless...

Well, we could make eight "layout" maps just to test the balance on each of those I suppose.

At any rate, we do need to determine where our little map is going to take place. Can we get some suggestions?

Zwiffle

Jun 24, 2008
Well ideally we should pick a theme/themes that allow for the greatest diversity yet still be connected - for example if we pick Alpine that gives us a lumber yard theme, a rail station to transport the lumber, maybe a mine since that goes with Alpine, a more industrialized area as a power generator, spy tech as the last points, etc etc. None of those are particularly original I know, but I guess it's a decent guide line.

I don't really mind as far as themes are concerned, I'll work in anything really, but I do favor alpine/desert themes over Egypt or "gimmicky" things like that.

Jamini

Nov 14, 2008
I've got an entity system for TC-KOTH 100% working and 95% finished. The only final pressing concern is getting it to show up properly on the HUD. If you want to take a stab at it, or just take a gander, look here.

Jamini

Nov 14, 2008
All right, with over 60% of the voters wanting TC-KOTH, that is most likely to be the final decision for the gametype. Now we can begin sketching out the layout of the map while we determine the setting/style of the map and the individual capture points.

I will be posting another poll on the theme shortly.

SiniStarR

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Mar 31, 2009
How do we plan on doing layout? Do we want individuals to draw one up, take a picture, and post it? Then after given amount of time, vote on who has the best layout?

Or would doing paper and then making a vmf of a rough idea of the size be an idea?

Lastly, would it be wise to decide how big each area is? Personally I feel the Middle point should be the largest, and then each point after is a bit smaller.

Would it be a wise idea to give an advantage to the losing team on their territories? Would that even work?

Thoughts?

Shaar

L3: Junior Member<BR>toboruin
Aug 7, 2008
KOTH TC plox.

Sin; The only flaw I can see with having a set layout is some people may disagree with it, and others may not like mapping from an image but rather do what they feel.

anyway; I'll sign up too if the sign ups are still open.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Really all you need to do is place the spawn rooms with an exit into each arena and tell people making the zones to do things roughly symmetrically between 'em, right?