Community Project [Concept]

Which gametype?

• Total voters

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
The name should be generated by a bunch of people who each suggest one letter in turn to make up the name.

ie.
person 1: B
person 2: l
person 3: e
person 4: t
etc. But it would obviously have to make sense, be readable, and not be rude.

Jamini

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 14, 2008
man, you guys are sure hardworking, don't you have another contest running atm ? :D

This is an unofficial project. However TF2maps has proven that they CAN do multiple projects and or contests at once (Last year they ran a few detailing contests during the big PL contest. And the swamp pack came out in the middle of the PLR/CTF contest this year.)

For TC, I think it would probably be best to stick to one TYPE of TC (so CTF TC like meridian, or a waste-like PL TC would be ok. However PL for one stage, CP for another, and CTF for a third would be a no-go just because of the sheer amount of entity work and complexity for the players.)

Personally I would be more interested in a KOTH TC. Combining those modes could be a very rewarding experiance for everyone if we do it right. And with six spawns we would be at exactly 8 CPs. The hardcoded limit.

Jamini

Nov 14, 2008
its not a case of the entities are hard, those are easy! what is hard is getting it to play well, being balanced, the right size, sealing vis areas and stuff like that. Designing and executing a tc map is not for the weak willed.

That's why we have multiple wills working on the task!

At any rate, fairly soon I'd like to see a vote on it. By any chance can you use your admin powers to prevent me from multi-threading?

Smetzle

L3: Member
May 20, 2009
Jamini said:
multiple wills

will-smith-the-fresh-prince-of-bel-.png

Jamini

Nov 14, 2008
Damn it, I just fell out of my chair laughing at that. You win, good sir. my hat comes off to you.

Edit: I'm going to talk to a few mods and try and get us a gametype poll at the top. I'll let it sit overnight while we keep working on ideas and tomorrow we'll have a good idea what everyone wants to work on.

Options:

1. Territorial Control, CP
2. Territorial Control, PL
3. Territorial Control, KOTH
4. A/D CP, 3points
5. A/D CP, 6points
6. CTF
7. Invade CTF
8. PL
9. PLR
10. A/D CP, Steel-Like

Last edited:

Waif

L7: Fancy Member
Mar 22, 2009
TC Koth.
It elminates the issues of balancing different sides and joining subisquent areas with corridoors.
It also allows people to design their own point and such.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
Poll added as user request.

NovaSilisko

L42: Life, the Universe and Everything
aa
Feb 3, 2009
Should have TC CTF :c

Jamini

Nov 14, 2008
We'll accept write-in votes for other game types. So right now

TC CTF has 1

SiniStarR

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Mar 31, 2009
hmm at this point, its a bit of a landslide with koth tc. So what is suppose to be determined after gamemode? Have you considered making a steam group for the project's developers that way everyone can get informed about whatever needs to be informed to others?

Zwiffle

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 24, 2008
How long will this poll actually be open before we start deciding layout and such?

Jamini

Nov 14, 2008
hmm at this point, its a bit of a landslide with koth tc. So what is suppose to be determined after gamemode? Have you considered making a steam group for the project's developers that way everyone can get informed about whatever needs to be informed to others?

Possibly, probably. Next we'll need to determine what style (desert,swamp, alpine, snow, spytech, etc) we will want the majority of the map to be.

Zwiffle - I'm going to leave the poll open overnight so I can get a good gauge on what is preferred by most of our contributors and forum regulars. If it's clear what the majority prefers we can just move on, but if there isn't a majority I may keep the poll up for up to three days.

Again, we do take write-in votes. Also, KOTH will defiantly need a few people who are good with entities to work on the map early on.

Altaco

L420: High Member
Jul 3, 2008
I actually really want to see how plr tc works. I think it really could potentially work.

Boojum, looking at you.

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
TC koth could work, seeing as though the original was just a hack on cps, and tf_logic_koth is just two timers, so one could easily repeatedly reset the timers and such. It also seems koth would break the constant stalemates and sudden-death camp-outs. mmm... marshmallows. Anyway, while we're aiming low, egypt is probably the easiest and most recognisable style, but most mappers will already be warmed up from the swamp comp, along with a whole group of people eager to expand it, so that's the best one for everybody.

lerlerson

L2: Junior Member
Nov 27, 2007
Hey, this is a neat little idea. I most likely won't participate, I'm not exactly the best mapmaker, but I do have some suggestions:

First off, I think TC KotH is a very solid choice. My reasoning behind this is that the map should be big so that the effort that everybody puts in pays off anymore. Say I want to detail, being bad with layouts and all. Problem is, the map is tiny. 2fort size. So, most of it is already detailed. Lame. So the map needs to be big, right? So that means A/D push maps... or, TC. But TC is not particularly good, at least, Hydro isn't. This seems due to the very nature of the gametype, it's like push-CP but bad. But KotH eliminates all the problems that actual TC has, and after all, it is Territorial Control. King of the Hill fits quite a bit thematically.

Anyhow, I have a suggestion for how development of the map goes. Unless I'm not much mistaken, TC maps have 6 territories. So, I do think that while allowing everybody to contribute is a great idea, I think that we should at least have people who are known for being good with layouts to come up with the base layouts, since we would want the map to be fun and successful. We're talking people like... hum, Icarus, Eerieone, Youme and the like. Split it off into 6 different lots and give 1 lot to each prominent mapmaker, and let them do the layouts for each zone. That will mean that each zone will be very distinctive in its own right, and they'll most certainly be good. That being said, I would say very little to no detailwork should be done by them. Why?

Well, the rest of the community contributers need something to do, don't they?

Just my two cents, anyways.

Last edited:

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
If this happends, I vote for swamp theme. If not only to motivate them/me/us to finish the expansion...

TC requires an awful lot of planning, not only gameplay wise but optimization is impossible without a good understanding of the layout. I don't think a TC map is the way to go when you have multiple authors.

I voted for steel style cp. It's still complex but not nearly as much as TC, provides a lot of space, is not overdone, and is indeed a fun mode.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
If we get enough Modelers and Texturers we could come up with a new biome to use completely. Although there's not many left...No ones done an Autumn-Forest yet, have they? ;)

Also, TC KoTH sounds great. new game modes are all the rage these days.

I'm happy to help. Anything you want me to do. Modeling (not very good at it) texturing, mapping, detailing, etc. Sign me up.

Maybe we should do a "mural" kind of thing? I'm not sure how it will work with so many people but...

Only one problem...

If this goes official, (which, due to the nature of it it just well could do) will everyone get community weapons? :p

Last edited:

Jamini

Nov 14, 2008
If this goes official, (which, due to the nature of it it just well could do) will everyone get community weapons? :p

That is entirely up to valve

TC requires an awful lot of planning, not only gameplay wise but optimization is impossible without a good understanding of the layout. I don't think a TC map is the way to go when you have multiple authors.

KOTH TC would be slightly easier to optimize than CP TC, since it is likely that we would have eight different arenas with connections from four main spawn rooms, as opposed to six main arenas with two active at any given time. I'd imagine it still will not be easy, but definatly not as absurdly hard as say... hydro.

At 3 today I'll see if we can get the poll changed to the top 3 gamemodes. TC KOTH, ADCP - Steel, and ADCP - 6points. While right now TC KOTH is in the lead, I would like to have a clear majority on what game mode to attempt before going forward to the next step.

Last edited: