Community Project [Concept]

Which gametype?

• Total voters

evanonline

L420: High Member
Mar 15, 2009
Sign me up! I dunno what I'd do, but I want in.

TC is very underdeveloped and I would simply love to see us go with that--it also lends itself well to a community project, because the stage would be big enough to allow us all to work on separate things. At the same time, though, we'd need to make sure we think things out with this so that it doesn't end up a hodge-podged mess.

Something Terr gives me an idea for, though I doubt it'd work very well--BLU has a setup akin to Steel in the first round, with three or four points on display. Depending on how many of those points they can capture within a set amount of time, the paths they can take changes, or maybe even the STAGE they play changes, with more passages opened up in the last stages. And if RED can keep all the points from being captured, they'll win?

...actually, that seems a little complex, but I like the idea of having to manually open up passages throughout RED's base by capturing points and slowly infiltrating their complex. I was toying with the idea of an A/D CTF stage with a setup based off of Steel similar to this concept.

Last edited:

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
I'd also like to participate though preferably nearer detailing, as I need a lot of practice at that. And unless you want the map to fail, I would suggest me not doing any optimizing either :)

SiniStarR

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Mar 31, 2009
I'd also like to participate though preferably nearer detailing, as I need a lot of practice at that. And unless you want the map to fail, I would suggest me not doing any optimizing either :)

perhaps you should optimize to grow that skill, and see what people change later on XD

J4CK8

Mar 4, 2009
perhaps you should optimize to grow that skill, and see what people change later on XD

But I have no knowledge of optimizing other than "place hint brush here and maybe it will do something o_O"

It would probably be best if I had more practice and learnt a bit more first before trying to optimize something that someone else will just undo xD

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
If this were to happen, I'd not be involved, cos I have other engagements that I really wanna push out there. Although, I'd love to see A/D cp by you guys.

Dance

L1: Registered
Aug 31, 2009
I'd like to help, but I'm not good with detail. I have an abandoned map (it's rubbish), that you could steal the idea off if you wish.

ANova

L7: Fancy Member
Jul 16, 2009
I'll help too i think a swamp themed push CTF would be cool :blushing:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Oh I'd like to say TC is HARD I've tried and failed multiple times, with a project involving so many people theres going to be a lot of conflicting design views and TC will be a logistical nightmare.

may i sugest attack/defend 3cp like gravelpit?

Jamini

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 14, 2008
I will definitely take part in this.

TC doesn't sound bad, but wouldn't it be better to try something a little simpler like CTF? I just mean as a trial run to see how this system will work.

Secondly, what about custom models and texture? There isn't anything mentioned on the 1st post. Will they be aloud or should we just stick close to Valve stuff?

I edited in a bit about it near the bottom of the first post.

If someone makes us some thematic textures/models/overlays of high quality. I'd have no issue with including them in the map. After all, you don't need to be a mapper to contribute to a map. :) doubly so for a community project.

Dance

L1: Registered
Aug 31, 2009
Jamini, I might be able to make some overlays and textures too, but I'm not sure.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Oh I'd like to say TC is HARD I've tried and failed multiple times, with a project involving so many people theres going to be a lot of conflicting design views and TC will be a logistical nightmare.

If I may, do your powerful brain-meats yield an answer as to whether someone already did an asymmetric (sub-phases are A/D) TC map?

Jamini

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 14, 2008

may i sugest attack/defend 3cp like gravelpit?

If we do TC I would probably insist on using the ABS entity library for the capture points and pretty much say: If you don't know what you are doing with it. DO NOT TOUCH.

Even with the entity library there is plenty our entity-focused members can work on with a little imagination (think ctf_permuda, or pl_cranetop. ^-*)

A/D CP and TC are clearly the most popular game modes so far. However everything is still very much in the air and a popular unconventional idea may just pop out unexpectedly. Keep up the storm!

Zwiffle

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 24, 2008
I'd like to sign up for mapping and if necessary some modeling.

TC would be okay if it were combined with some other game mode - I personally want to try TC + KotH, but TC + PLR, TC + anti-ctf (where you run your flag into enemy territory), etc would be neat if not a bit difficult to pin down. Or even TC + gamemode, where each stage combination has a different game mode associated with it, although I imagine that would fail pretty hard.

I'm also fine with Dustbowl style cp or Gravel Pit style cp.

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
man, you guys are sure hardworking, don't you have another contest running atm ? :D

J4CK8

Mar 4, 2009
Or even TC + gamemode, where each stage combination has a different game mode associated with it, although I imagine that would fail pretty hard.

That would be awesome to have one round of koth, then plr, ctf, cp etc Though the HUd layout would need a lot of work, and the matches where it combines one area from a plr stage with one from a ctf...

Smetzle

L3: Member
May 20, 2009
Sign me up for this project, I promise I won't touch the entities :p. What about TC with a neutral payload, like pl_waste? Teams would have to push the cart through the stages until they get to the other team's base.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
If we do TC I would probably insist on using the ABS entity library for the capture points and pretty much say: If you don't know what you are doing with it. DO NOT TOUCH.

Even with the entity library there is plenty our entity-focused members can work on with a little imagination (think ctf_permuda, or pl_cranetop. ^-*)

A/D CP and TC are clearly the most popular game modes so far. However everything is still very much in the air and a popular unconventional idea may just pop out unexpectedly. Keep up the storm!

its not a case of the entities are hard, those are easy! what is hard is getting it to play well, being balanced, the right size, sealing vis areas and stuff like that. Designing and executing a tc map is not for the weak willed.