Commentated Walkthrough?

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
So, I've been watching my boxset of Invader Zim for the past few days, and I've been watching it with the Commentary on. And it's just fun to hear what they say about all these little random things, some that have nothing to do with Zim at all.

Anyways, I know TF2 has it's own Commentary, but it's only by one person at a time, describing something. I was thinking maybe, we can get together this weekend and do a Walkthrough of Hoodoo, with a Commentary.

Why Hoodoo, you ask? Isn't it obvious? It's a custom-turned-official map, and is one of the best from this site. So, we can get a group of say, 5-15 people, including the main creators of the map, and do a little discussion on everything that went into Hoodoo, why one thing looks different than before, etc etc. Basically, have a good time, and give a walkthrough of the new Community Map.

Just an idea. I can film, and of course, provide it in HD.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Film? FILM?! Come on, that's just stupid.

...if this was going to happen clearly it should be done properly with just recording the audio and having Youme send in a new version with the commentary points built into the map!

Void

aa
Sep 14, 2008
And, of all people, I'm sure you would know how to add in working Commentary Nodes? :p

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Never tried it, but I've looked into it in the past and it didn't seem all that hard. I don't think he would actually need to recompile it either, I think they can be external.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
...if this was going to happen clearly it should be done properly with just recording the audio and having Youme send in a new version with the commentary points built into the map!

This. I don't think he'd need to modify the BSP at all, the node locations are stored in a .res or something. It's just a matter of recording the audio clips.

Not too hard, right, Youme?

Feb 14, 2008
There's a commentary editor in the SDK.

Commentaries are just text files which add things to the map when commentary is loaded. This includes things such as entities.

Zmathue

L2: Junior Member
Aug 3, 2008
Yes and all you need to do is bug valve to add it to the main menu and your golden.

Void

aa
Sep 14, 2008
I say we do it. Get Tim, Jeroen, Wade and Ambulanceguy together along with some fans of the map and other well-known mappers and record some commentary nodes. :D

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I say we do it. Get Tim, Jeroen, Wade and Ambulanceguy together along with some fans of the map and other well-known mappers and record some commentary nodes. :D

assemble stuff to talk about THEN assemble people to say it

l3eeron

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jan 4, 2008
I hate to throw jarate on the parade, but it sounds like a ton of work for a small reward. Only because it would mostly go unviewed.

Void

aa
Sep 14, 2008
I hate to throw jarate on the parade, but it sounds like a ton of work for a small reward. Only because it would mostly go unviewed.

Unless Valve posts about, which I'm sure they would.

Ninjilla

L420: High Member
Sep 13, 2008
It would be cool, maybe it would prompt Valve to make more of their own commentary. I loved it.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
Futurama has among the best audio commentary around.

If this is half as giood as those, I'd lsiten to it.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
assemble stuff to talk about THEN assemble people to say it

Well, I'd guess that you'd talk a little about the map, Sniper would talk a little about his models, and I'd talk a little about my posters...