Commentated Walkthrough?

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by Void, May 28, 2009.

1. Void

aa Void Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say

Positive Ratings:
    So, I've been watching my boxset of Invader Zim for the past few days, and I've been watching it with the Commentary on. And it's just fun to hear what they say about all these little random things, some that have nothing to do with Zim at all.

Anyways, I know TF2 has it's own Commentary, but it's only by one person at a time, describing something. I was thinking maybe, we can get together this weekend and do a Walkthrough of Hoodoo, with a Commentary.

Why Hoodoo, you ask? Isn't it obvious? It's a custom-turned-official map, and is one of the best from this site. So, we can get a group of say, 5-15 people, including the main creators of the map, and do a little discussion on everything that went into Hoodoo, why one thing looks different than before, etc etc. Basically, have a good time, and give a walkthrough of the new Community Map.

Just an idea. I can film, and of course, provide it in HD.

2. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Film? FILM?! Come on, that's just stupid.

...if this was going to happen clearly it should be done properly with just recording the audio and having Youme send in a new version with the commentary points built into the map!

3. Void

Positive Ratings:
    And, of all people, I'm sure you would know how to add in working Commentary Nodes? :p

4. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Never tried it, but I've looked into it in the past and it didn't seem all that hard. I don't think he would actually need to recompile it either, I think they can be external.

5. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    This. I don't think he'd need to modify the BSP at all, the node locations are stored in a .res or something. It's just a matter of recording the audio clips.

Not too hard, right, Youme?

6. Randdalf

aa Randdalf

Positive Ratings:
    There's a commentary editor in the SDK.

Commentaries are just text files which add things to the map when commentary is loaded. This includes things such as entities.

7. Zmathue

Zmathue L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yes and all you need to do is bug valve to add it to the main menu and your golden.

8. Void

Positive Ratings:
    I say we do it. Get Tim, Jeroen, Wade and Ambulanceguy together along with some fans of the map and other well-known mappers and record some commentary nodes. :D

9. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Hoodoo was made official? I think i missed a lot more than i anticipated in my weeks absence.

10. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    assemble stuff to talk about THEN assemble people to say it

11. l3eeron

l3eeron L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I hate to throw jarate on the parade, but it sounds like a ton of work for a small reward. Only because it would mostly go unviewed.

12. Void

Positive Ratings:
    Unless Valve posts about, which I'm sure they would.

13. Ninjilla

Ninjilla L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    It would be cool, maybe it would prompt Valve to make more of their own commentary. I loved it.

14. Penguin

aa Penguin Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome

Positive Ratings:
    Futurama has among the best audio commentary around.

If this is half as giood as those, I'd lsiten to it.

15. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    Well, I'd guess that you'd talk a little about the map, Sniper would talk a little about his models, and I'd talk a little about my posters...