Collision models going basic, need help.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Dox, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Dox

Dox L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]
    This is my problem in a nutshell, I make a collision model, it compiles fine (thanks to Hawk's tutorial and learning about Geometry Approximation)

But the final model's collisions aways end up taking whatever I make and turning them into the basic shape.

[​IMG]
    Another Example, here I had made a phys model that was a cylinder the same size as the pot model. it reverted it to a basic cylinder.

Does anyone have a clue as to what I'm doing wrong? Trying to get better at modeling so I can start making more models for everyone but I can't release my models like this.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  2. Dox

Positive Ratings:
    OK, Im a 'tard.

"Mλtt -Pancakes at 12PastNorth" told me in chat that there are multiple ways to save SMDs in XSI exporter. Cant believe I missed that in the tuts... leaving this thread up for someone's future searches.

EDIT: Didnt work... later help with UV didnt help Either... still going basic.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  3. Dox

Positive Ratings:
    First and last bump, Problem still occurring, anyone have experience with this?

4. TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Are you using Mod Tool to do this? If so, then I've had a similar problem. If I take an object (cube, cylinder, etc) and just scale it, I usually get a collision model that represents the original shape of the object (ie, when created and the radius is altered, etc). I believe I've even had the same thing happen if I just move polygon's around. However, I've remedied this by changing an object's shape by moving around its points.

Hopefully that'll help.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think you need to figure out how to reset scale.

I don't know XSI, in Max it's called X Form or you can create a box, attach the collision to the box, delete the box. This effectively makes the 100% scale of the box transfer to the coll model and resets it to 100%.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. MrAlBobo

MrAlBobo L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Altaco

Altaco L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Try freezing your transforms before you compile? That's the only thing I can think of.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Dox

Positive Ratings:
    ok, think I got it, Mod tool throws out any in-editor scaling while making the phys boxes, the only thing you can do is move the points into position. I think the size it is when you first make the object has some effect as well on the scale of the finished product, not sure though.

thanks to all those who helped.

[​IMG]

9. Spike

Spike L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    ULTIMATE FIX

after doing both the reference model and collision model, you have to "Frezee Transforms". When exporting the collision model, you have to go to the info panel, open the meshes and select GEOMETRY APROXIMATION, select POLY MESH tab and the un-check AUTOMATIC. :D

And for the tea cup model... I would make just a cube, or a cylinder as a collision model.

10. Dox

Positive Ratings:
    I did all those, and this is going to be a BIG teacup.

11. Inqwel

Inqwel L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    My first thoughts is that it could be a toy soldier/rat map because of the size, but you could be devious and fool us by making it an advertisement on a building. I've seen some factories do bottles they sell.

12. Dox

Positive Ratings:
    I honestly dont know what it is for, It was requested on the request thread, Im also uploading a small model for everyone else with a much simpler collision.