Codebreaker

StoneFrog

L6: Sharp Member
May 28, 2008
Relay by StoneFrog
Alpha 1.0

Overview
This is an entry for the TF2Maps.net Annual Major Contest #3. This map is one of many I've made for TF2 before, but will hopefully, unlike the others, actually get done. :closedeyes:

It is following the custom gametype, Attack/Defend with intel briefcases used to cap. I am currently trying to decide between two areas with 2 CPs each or 3 areas with 2 CPs each. I guess it depends on my dedication, though I already have an overall theme and idea of gameflow thought out for each.

Story
The Binksi Logging and Paper Company is a subsidiary company of RED, but has been allowed to remain in business under a mutual agreement with BLU so long as they are permitted to perform monthly inspections of the logging plant to ensure that the business is completely legitimate. This appeared to be the case for the better part of several years, until BLU officials made a startling discovery.

For about a year now shipping records have indicated that Binksi Logging and Paper have been importing an unusually high quantity and assortment of various construction materials. What's even stranger is that the company has been exporting goods at a fraction of previous years, and productivity seems to be grinding to a halt.

BLU reconaissance agents have discovered that RED has been constructing a top-secret missile launching facility in the mountains behind the logging plant! Thankfully, they are prepared. The intelligence briefcase seized from their last encounter with RED has proven to be most valuable, as it contains access override and disarmament codes for all missiles and rocketry under control of RED. With these passcodes at their disposal, BLU sends in a group of mercenaries to infiltrate the complex and remove the missiles at once...

Layout
It has been almost unanimously agreed on that Attack/Defend maps should utilize a defender's advantage, as opposed to an attacker's advantage. As the map progresses, the battlefield will get progressively more cramped as the attackers make their way into the inner confines of the facility.

Area one starts out at the logging plant and will probably use a sawmill theme (sans rain). Area two will begin the transition into an interior, industrial setting (similar to cp_steel) and area three will culminate in the usual spytech ending. Unless I'm particularly fanatical about it, I may streamline areas 2 and 3 into a single area, incorporating the two themes into the two points.

Development
*The current version is Alpha 1.0.

Currently, area one has been fully drafted out on paper and is being worked on. The current screenshots in this thread are from control point 2 of area 1. I will probably incorporate playtesting of the map stage-by-stage (like many are doing with their Payload Race maps), and am using this system to set shorter goals to help me get the general level geometry for the entire map done.

I'll post my layout for area 1 up later today if I get the time.

Last edited:

HeaH

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 2, 2008
I think ctf_codebreaker has already been made, for the stupidity contest

StoneFrog

L6: Sharp Member
May 28, 2008
Ah, hell. You're right. Any name suggestions? ctf_disarm? ctf_relay?

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
ctf_relay

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
what comes to mind for me as a name is ctf_enigma
as a reference to the enigma device used in the 2nd world war. - simply comes from the name "codebreaker" + the idea that blu has the access codes to the red base.

Ninjilla

L420: High Member
Sep 13, 2008
ctf_espionage

ctf_infiltration

ctf_sneakysnakesstealingmahintel

just suggestions::p: