Coal town topic

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by henke37, Aug 16, 2012.

1. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    New official map, discuss.

You could at least start the conversation off with your own opinions. - grazr.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2012
  2. Hell-met

Hell-met L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I love the skeleton bones and museum props created for it.

3. deadsource

deadsource L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Honestly, I hate those props. They seem quite out of place... well maybe I'll get used to them...

4. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    I don't know why these three topics were made separately when discussion was already happening in the patch notes thread. I also don't know why they were all created without any kind of content. It's like posting FIRST. Completely meaningless.

5. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    lets talk about offblast instead

6. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
  7. Jetti

Jetti L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Seconding Offblast being the best Arena mode.

As for Coal Town; I like the incorporation of the Mine Tours sign with a pit of death. Real class act. :D

8. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    I think coal town is my favourite- there's a lot of humour in the signs (though its a lot less subtle than most map humour, sadly).

9. GPuzzle

GPuzzle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I like that map. While Decoy is, without any doubt, more dynamic (the end reminded me a bit of Goldrush) and Mannworks having more flank routes in the middle, Coal Town gives the attacker a huge height advantage (sides, central building, top of hill) right in the start, then give the robots the height advantage and the defenders a bit of height advantage (top of spawn exit) and health and ammo advantage, the fight becomes more exciting every second.

10. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    I love coaltown's opening area, though it seems rare that much combat takes place outside it. That, for me, is the issue with the map. Almost all waves on Decoy end up fighting on the bridges, if only briefly, and Mannworks often forces players back to the second line of buildings, but i've rarely had a game of Coaltown where the bots have broken through the initial killing ground without a tank or a pair of giants. I'd have made the killing ground smaller and opened the flanks earlier, to give classes other than spies a chance to get sentry/demo nests.

11. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Considering the amount of time players spend at the staging area in coaltown, i wish the mapper had made more of an effort to disguise the transition between arena and 3dskybox.

There's been a real lack of 3dskybox attention in the recent Valve maps, although i suppose the issue with coalmine is more to do with the out of bounds just infront of the skybox. Still...

12. ForbiddenDonut

aa ForbiddenDonut

Positive Ratings:
    I have to say, while not a part of the 3Dskybox or specific to any of the three maps in general, I really like the carrier model that 'delivers' the robots. It's so ominous and foreboding in the view when starting a match.

13. GPuzzle

GPuzzle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Let me quote Tycho in Poker Night at The Inventory, when Heavy puts the Iron Curtain on the table:
    "It's so beautiful!"

14. Hell-met

Hell-met L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    too bad they "optimized" it and removed half of it from a certain angle