Cloudburst

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
cloudburstbanner.jpg

CTF Cloudburst is a conventional CTF map for the TF2maps.net contest, set in a snowy logging town.

Designed with a 6v6 audience in mind, Cloudburst is a fast paced map, and focusing on large outdoor battle grounds and interesting height variations, Cloudburst is sure to keep your defence and offence on their towes.

Credits:
Supertoaster: Inspiration
Flame: Comp feedback and a lot of stuff
Booj: :blush:
Jonah: The sexy sexy snow textures (with his permission)
Acegikmo, thanks anyway.
Void: The massivly awesome ice
Snacks: For making me a cliff wall because the old one was "uninteresting"
Beatz: Particles (Lighter snow)
Mangycarface: For telling me to a drastic change of my map. I didn't think it would work, but I took the plunge and its so much better.
Owlruler: For your superb skills at detecting failclips
TPG: Just cause :cool1:

Last edited:

Flame

aa
Jul 19, 2009

Hellfire

L9: Fashionable Member
Jul 9, 2008
lookin nice,but needs testin :D

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I approve of the open-ness you have here, but as Flame said, you do need to watch those sightlines. Particularly sight lines that view doors and other exits/entrances.

I'm just gonna do a couple paint overs...

...edit:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1429764/ctf_cloudburst_a10000.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1429764/ctf_cloudburst_a10001.jpg

On the overview you might wanna put in an overpass where i put those red rectangles, in an effert to stop rediculous sticky jumps that cover half the map.

In the middle is a cliff that divides the map, with a building built into it that allows players to get from one side to the other. Having players zig zag like that creates corners to battle over and shortens lines of sight and increases optimisation.

On the far sides are holes in the cliff wall where the icy river goes. Again, include a cliff overhang that prevents rediculous sticky jumps.

Last edited:

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Oh, is that ice texture custom? Because I really need one but I haven't found one yet. D:

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
A2 is up already. Go have a play. It was mainly a quick fix for the stuff that was really bad in a1.

Mr. P. Kiwi

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 22, 2009
Looks great!
You should better put the intel indoors... soildiers and demos can grab it and run away quickly - the enemy have no time to stop them!

Flame

aa
Jul 19, 2009
sitickzero's idea is pretty good. i just ran through it again today and I liked how you used my feedback =D

but yeah right now it might be a bit too easy to grab, not sure how itd play out.

I'd also suggest a very small (5 sec) reset time on the flag due to the size of the map

owly-oop

im birb
aa
Apr 14, 2009
This looks weird, the fence and a tunnel right next to eachother. You could stick a traincar into the tunnel and just playerclip it

ctf_cloudburst_a20000.jpg

I feel the hills could be raised, them being higher would block sightlines. Atleast high enough to go under the bridge

ctf_cloudburst_a20001.jpg

I wouldn't see this path used much, there's really no advantages it gives and looks like a deathtrap. Adding this could do something i think :eek:

ctf_cloudburst_a20002.jpg

SlayerBlitz

L3: Member
Dec 3, 2009
umm you do realize the blue spawn resupply cabinet doesnt work right? Also you can build on the roofs. Maybe you could put a 64 unit high wall around the intel balcony so people can duck behind it.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
You can get stuck on the rails. Remove collisions on them. Also, the clipping on the roof above the intel is missing directly above the intel, but nowhere else.

ANova

L7: Fancy Member
Jul 16, 2009
Your Map is kind of Chilly
Where did you get your Ice Texture looks really nice

But anyway looks good

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
That texture looks like Ace's one...

It is, I think. Someone sent it to me a while ago and someone else just recently pointed it out. Once I realised that I PMed him to ask for permission. I still havn't got a reply. If he says no I'll take it out and find another one.
I take no credit for the texture.

Anyway, I've been busy the last day and will be tomorow, so I won't have time to fix the map. However, I'll put out a3 as soon as I can.