Clock Tower

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Bean Bean Mr. Clean, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Bean Bean Mr. Clean

Bean Bean Mr. Clean L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm trying to make a clock for my map, but all the tutorials I have seen on youtube, tf2maps, etc show how to make a digital clock, like the one from the start of Portal. I'm trying to make one like this picture, with moving hands.
    clockything.jpg
    I want the hours and minutes hand to move like a regular clock would. Is it possible to do this in hammer editor?

• Like Like x 1
  2. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    Assuming that you don't care about syncing to realtime, not an issue. Use momentary_rot_button for the clock hands, parenting any props to them as needed, and some math_remap and math_counter to compute the input you need. If you need something to make it tick, use a logic_timer as the oscillator.

3. Necrσ

aa Necrσ

Positive Ratings:
    I believe the clock hands you are using have animations to rotate to different positions on the clock face, as I used them in my arena map, Phantom. At that point its just a matter of using logic_timers and math_counter to control the hands.

Ive attached a VMF for a working clock face with only one hand if you want to see how I did it, although my version is triggered by the start of the round.

Attached Files:

4. B!scuit

B!scuit L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    here's my attempt using func_tracktrain(s), it uses a logic_timer and counters so you could potentially setup time specific events using a logic_case
    angles are a little iffy tho and it could certainly use some tuning

now that I think about it a func_door_rotating with a specific speed (1/60 hu/s) might do the trick (just set opn distance super high so it wont jam)

Attached Files: