Clock Tower

Jul 21, 2016
I'm trying to make a clock for my map, but all the tutorials I have seen on youtube, tf2maps, etc show how to make a digital clock, like the one from the start of Portal. I'm trying to make one like this picture, with moving hands.
clockything.jpg

I want the hours and minutes hand to move like a regular clock would. Is it possible to do this in hammer editor?

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Assuming that you don't care about syncing to realtime, not an issue. Use momentary_rot_button for the clock hands, parenting any props to them as needed, and some math_remap and math_counter to compute the input you need. If you need something to make it tick, use a logic_timer as the oscillator.

Necrσ

aa
Nov 16, 2015
I believe the clock hands you are using have animations to rotate to different positions on the clock face, as I used them in my arena map, Phantom. At that point its just a matter of using logic_timers and math_counter to control the hands.

Ive attached a VMF for a working clock face with only one hand if you want to see how I did it, although my version is triggered by the start of the round.

Attachments

• arena_clocktest.vmf
    31.4 KB · Views: 109

B!scuit

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 12, 2016
here's my attempt using func_tracktrain(s), it uses a logic_timer and counters so you could potentially setup time specific events using a logic_case
angles are a little iffy tho and it could certainly use some tuning

now that I think about it a func_door_rotating with a specific speed (1/60 hu/s) might do the trick (just set opn distance super high so it wont jam)

Attachments

• analog_clock.vmf
    105.2 KB · Views: 97