Clipping triangles in arch brushes

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Doctor Paprika, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Doctor Paprika

Doctor Paprika L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Since I'm not very good with vertices, I've been using this helpful tutorial, but one step for making a spiral ramp shape out of an arch brush says to "Clip every rectangular brush into triangles like so":

[​IMG]

I've exhausted my knowledge of the clipping tool settings trying to do just this. Every time I try, the clipping runs across the arch to the other side, like this:

[​IMG]

2. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    I think when you select the arch with the "group" selection on, it will do that, but selecting it with solids should fix it. if not, you have to clip along those lines that you see radiating inwards.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Tarry H Sruman

Tarry H Sruman Large Orphanage Proprietor

Positive Ratings:
    Turn on ignore grouping and cut the pieces individually.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    cut the opposite corners and you will be cutting from the center outwards, thus not crossing the opposite side. It doesn't matter which way the tris are cut, you just have to cut the squares down to avoid them becoming concave when angled for the ramp.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Or just ungroup the segments. There's probably not going to be a huge advantage to them staying grouped anyway.

6. Doctor Paprika

Doctor Paprika L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I ungrouped them and then re-grouped them after clipping.

7. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    Leaving arches and stuff grouped will save you oh so much time should you need to move them.