Clipping & exploitable locations

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
So here's one that's bothered me for a bit:

"If you have a free-standing item, say, a telephone pole, what's the best way to keep a rocket-jumper from being able to stand up there?"

Let's assume we want to allow people to travel over it, we just don't want them to actually stand on it for any period of time.

If it adjoined a wall, you could use a clip brush to slide people away, but if I understand it correctly, even an extremely pointly clip-brush spike can be stood upon with some margin of error.

Perhaps some sort of multidirectional func_push?

Eternal

L69: Deviant Member
Jul 8, 2009
I suppose you could have the clip brush be angled on the top so that if someone lands on it they'd just slide off.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Put a trigger_push with a small weak push (but enough to move a player) on the very top of the pole. That way, they can jump over and the push shouldn't effect them, but if they land on top of it, they'll in essence "slide" off.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
So if the top is a square pyramid clip brush, maybe a toilet-paper-roll-sized spire of trigger_push in a particular direction?

I don't suppose there's a way to make it push outwards from the origin ;) 'Course, they might be able to counter it if they have any traction...

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Pretty much what Nineaxis said is - unfortunately - all that we have available, short of limiting how high a player can rocket jump, preventing the dilema from occuring in the first place.

Waif

L7: Fancy Member
Mar 22, 2009
Not really related, but valve has been pretty slack with their clips in plr_pipeline, any half decent soldier/demo can easily get onto many bits of roof, and not just the very edge in some bits, but the whole bit.

Oh and if its the top of a telegraph pole, it probably won't make that biggeer an impact if its able to be sat on top of.
Players would be fairly open to fire anyway. (thinking of a similar thing from vector)