Texture Cliff-Snow blend 2017-07-22

A blend between cliff wall and snow texture

1. DrSquishy

DrSquishy L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Cliff-Snow blend - A blend between cliff wall and snow texture

A blend I have used in my map, mvm_origins. It blends the tf2 cliff wall texture with the hl2 (I think) snowfloor002a texture. It results in a very nice snowy blend, perfect for snowy landscapes.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    Sorry, but aren't those two texture already in the game? Why didn't you just specify the original texture paths in the VMT? This way you wouldnt need a exact copy of textures everyone already has. It's wasted file size.

I know it isn't that significant but when I can safe .5 MB worth of filesize in a super easy way then you should do that.

Also you should use a blendmask, the blending looks rather basic.

3. DrSquishy

Positive Ratings:
    I have tried using just the file paths but it wasn't actually working

4. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    Probably because you were specifying a file path to a VMT, while the actual VTF was called differently. You can have as many VMTs as you want with different settings while using the same single VTF.
    Try opening one of the original VMTs, copy the $basetexture filepath of the texture (because that's always the original VTF path after all) and use that in your custom one.

This way you can have so many custom textures and blend texture combinations without compiling an actual texture. This basicly uses up no fielsize

5. DrSquishy

Positive Ratings:
    No. Have tried it like that and it didn't work

6. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    ok can you tell me the file paths, so I can show you how I would do it? Perhaps you just had a typo

7. DrSquishy

Positive Ratings:
    The original filepath for the snowfloor texture from $basetexture: Nature/snowfloor002a
    The $basetexture filepath for the cliffwall texture: nightfall/cliffwall
    what I actually have in my blend's VMT after it didn't work:
    "WorldVertexTransition"
    "$basetexture" "blends/cliffwall"
    "$basetexture2" "blends/snowfloor002a"

8. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    "WorldVertexTransition"
    {
    "$basetexture" "nature/snowfloor002a"
    "$basetexture2" "nightfall/cliffwall"
    "$blendmodulatetexture" "nature/snowwall_blendmask"
    "%tooltexture" "blends/cliffwall"
    "%keywords" "tf"
    "$surfaceprop" "snow"
    "$surfaceprop2" "rock"

}

So uhm, I'm a bit stumped here. This is what I put into your VMT and it does shows up alright in hammer. Try it yourself. However when I delete your two VTF copies the texture becomes missing. Yes, when I delete the two texture that aren't specified in the VMT at all, the VMT breaks.... I have no idea what the fuck is going on...

I'll test it in-game. With the "mat_reloadmaterial blends" command, the texture will update immediately, in case you want to play around with it too.
    As you can see I added a blendmodulate and a second surface prop.

9. DrSquishy

Positive Ratings:
    I would add a blend_modulate but have no idea how to make the texture...

10. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    You can use an existing blend modulate texture, like the one in Lampenpam's example.

11. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    just take an existing blendmask. nature/snowwall_blendmask works great. For most things you find a fiting blend texture in the game files but in case you want to know how to make them: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/$blendmodulatetexture
    All you need is to only use the red and green color channel in photoshop/gimp or basicly, just paint with green and red colors.

Anyway, so I deleted your VTFs, and the texture shows up missing in hammer but after compiling and launching the game the texture shows up fine in game! This is how it looks with the blendmask: http://puu.sh/wRRAK/67e67f9105.jpg

Well, unless I can figure out why the fuck hammer is acting the way it is I guess you can just use my edited VMT but keep your VTFs. When you later pack a map I doubt the packer will also take the VTFs because the VMT doesnt mention it. So you only have the VTFs to make the texture show up correctly in hammer while the game still uses the offical textures

12. DrSquishy

Positive Ratings:
    thanks!

13. DrSquishy

Positive Ratings:
    Finally got time to compile aaaand.... it looks very dodgy, as the scale of the material is much bigger...

14. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    Perhaps try a tf2 snow texture? nature/snow_grass01 is a 1024x1024 texture

15. DrSquishy

Positive Ratings:
    I
    mean as in since I have the actual scale of the texture in hammer set as quite large, the modulate looks weird. snowfloor002 looks amazing and it goes very well with my map

16. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    well you try changing the scale: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/$blendmodulatetexture

So try "$blendmasktransform" "center .5 .5 scale 2 2 rotate 0 translate 0 0"? (you must use the " ") Just play around with the values, remember to use "mat_reloadmaterial blends" in game to update the texture.

17. DrSquishy

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks