Citizen's Vote - Second Time Extension

A Second Time Extension?

• Total voters

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
As I type this, there are slightly over 11 days left ticking away at that countdown we've all come to know, love, and hate.

Our contest was clear, simple. Payload Race versus Assault Capture the Flag. Mind you that the gamemodes weren't as simple as the name. That brings me to my first statement; these gamemodes are underdeveloped and have yet for all the kinks to work out. Payload Race is bugged constantly with stopping carts and crossovers that refuse to live up to their name. Assault CTF is, to say the least, a work in progress. Sure, we got Valve support with the HUD and flag model support, but it's system still has things to work out.

Because of these flaws, we the mappers have been flooding the gamedays with constant alphas in self-made attempts to fix the near-unfixable. Because of nearly-broken gameplay from these results, Betas simply can not be reached. At this time, only 3 maps of a total 17 (not counting threads discontinued in early august) have gone Beta - Vector, Snowdrift, and HAARP.

Now, these mappers have all proven to be good developers when it comes to maps, but not all of us are as lucky, what with the aforementioned bugs and outright gameplay-breaking problems. Add that to the Schoolyear's beginning, Job hours, and every other thing we don't need to discuss here - and you have yourself a nasty little time problem.

So I'm casting a... "Citizen's Vote," per se, to add another time extension to the contest. There is no right, there is no wrong, just vote, and we'll see where that takes us.

Good luck and no matter what happens, may the best mapper win.

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
Valve will fix these modes though im sure so i say no, also becuase i didn't no about this contest and ideas 4 next one have been flooding in and i reckon a team contest sounds fun

Apr 19, 2009
Even though I dropped out in august I agree there should be an extension. Most of the remaining map are almost at Beta and I would really like to see them reach that before the end. Just my .02 cents.

gamemaster1996

Sep 30, 2009
Even though I dropped out in august I agree there should be an extension. Most of the remaining map are almost at Beta and I would really like to see them reach that before the end. Just my .02 cents.

Ye but think about it many will randomly continue doing this work and the rest of us can get on with the next contest which has had many good ideas for it

May 23, 2009
Theres already been two extensions already!!

Surely theres hype for the end now, to push it back, even by a week would just ruin that.

There has been masses of time to get a map well into beta, as proven by icarus spud and jonah. The rest of you, tbh have been slacking!! (As have I) but theres nothing like the prospect of a looming deadline to encourage people to work

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I will cry if this gets another extension. Think of us non-participants who are enduring plr and ctf maps every single gameday. I'm sure some people like it, but then there are also people who hate the game modes. Like me. It's getting very old, and I'm looking forward to the end of this.

Lord Ned

L420: High Member
Feb 11, 2008
That's my feeling in a few more words than my original post.

If you really don't want to rush out a beta, why not have everyone release _c's, or _contest? That way it's beta enough for the contest, but not the same beta everyone else runs on.

What you don't seem to get is: A contest is a contest for a reason. It's supposed to be a chalange. These contests require a lot out of you, and require you to work under pressure for a reason.

Last edited:

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
There was a week added right in the middle, then with a month left, a further month was added.

Didn't you notice the timer jumped from 30 to 60??

I thought they captured a control point so time had been added.

gamemaster1996

Sep 30, 2009
Yeh still this contest is getting slightly boring

Last edited:

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Gamemaster, I have no idea what you're talking about. We are discussing the current contest.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
I think it's time it comes to a close. You got around 4 months to develop a map into at least it's beta stage. Any more it's becoming ridiculous. We have to set a deadline, and October was incredibly generous. At the very least you shouldn't ask for another extension in just a mere week or so before the deadline.

Mexican Apple Thief

L3: Junior Member<br>LEAD FARMER
Aug 23, 2008
I'm voting for increase just a small amount just so AD/CTF mappers have time to get a new intel model if they want.

Last edited:

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Hopefully most of the members here who will vote will be fair and won't entirely base their vote on a map's completeness.

gamemaster1996

Sep 30, 2009
And anyway they can still continue there maps that they made for this contest if they want as i said previously