Cinematic Physics

zbandito

L1: Registered
Feb 12, 2008
In the upcoming 'medic unlockables/Goldrush' update, it's been mentioned that Valve will also be including their 'Cinematic Physics' technology. This thread is for discussing it!

So, any idea what this is?:huh::drool1:

dirtyminuth

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 5, 2007
Valve used said tools to create their "Meet the X" and TF2 teaser / trailer videos. At least the in-game / in-Source portion. I wager the post-processing tools are not their own and cost a pretty penny ;-)

I wager Garry's Mod fanatics will jump all over this if it's implemented in a similar manner.

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
Well i think that it's like we've seen it in hl2 ep 2, the exploding houses with the striders on the end. So when the nuke in goldrush explodes half of the level gets blown up or something. With a scout saying boink ofc.

Earl

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 21, 2007
"Cinematic Physics" is just when they "pre-render" the phyics for a certain event. Since an complicated event would likely be to complex to calculate real-time on most peoples computers, they pre-calculate it with high detail and resolution, and just play it back when it needs to happen. It was pretty cool in EP2, when bridges collapsed and houses got torn/blasted apart. It should make for some impressive round-win explosions.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
yup sniper and earl have got it, They mix pre calculated animations with some real time physics to make spectacular exploading buildings, so I imagine thats what we'll be seeing in goldrush.

Unfortunatly for us mappers, there is no way to create our own cinematic physic events because valve cant release the software they use for it because of legal reasons. so we're stuck with rather more static and less exploded buildings. :(

Feb 14, 2008
I just watched a video of the car in goldrush exploding...

It wasn't that spectacular, but there was a big fireball left after the explosion.