Choppy player movement while colliding with prop_dynamic's

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Phil25, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Phil25

Phil25 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Let's say there is a prop_dynamic with the model set to a hollow cube. When I teleport inside it and walk around while touching the walls, the movement is a bit lagged, i.e. it slows down then speeds up while walking by the corners when consistently touching the walls.

The model is custom however it has happened to Valve props sometimes. It seems almost as if it's a client prediction issue but I tested it both locally and on the server.

The way I negate this problem at the moment is I copy the model's collision hull and set it as invisible func_brush on the map. However this is causes side effects in some situations.

Has anyone else came across this problem or the fix? Thank you all in advance!

2. TheCreepAcrossTheStreet

TheCreepAcrossTheStreet L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    You might need to use a player clip brush, and use the cutting tool to fit the model.

3. Phil25

Positive Ratings:
    This is something similar to what I'm doing right now, I have the prop collision disabled and replaced with a func_brush with invisible texture. However, I need to have the prop collisions enabled as to make the demomen stickies stick to it. But when I have the prop_brush with playerclip and the collisions on prop_dynamic enabled the player collision issue still persists.

Now, this doesn't seem to be a bother when I use a prop_physics_multiplayer, but, the collisions of it seem to disappear when the player or projectiles touch it. Can I use the prop_physics_multiplayer somehow the same way as prop_dynamic?

Here's what I set right now:
    Min Damage to Hurt: 99999999
    Damaging it Doesn't Push It: Yes
    Health Level to Override Motion: 99999999

Flags:
    Start Asleep
    Don't take physics damage
    Debis,
    Montion Disabled
    Prevent Pickup
    Prevent motion enable on player bump
    Force server-side

4. zahndah

aa zahndah professional letter

Positive Ratings:
    If stickies stick onto something moving they dont move with it. It would be better to have them rolling around than to have them be floating in space.

5. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    Game's tutorial says that stickies stick to most things that don't possibly move, so players would know.

6. Phil25

Positive Ratings:
    In my case it's something I want to remove/instantiate via template. Except world brushes stickies stick only to prop_dynamic's. Additionally, it has a complicated geometry. These are the reasons why I chose to use a model. Having them stick is quite important to me but not enough sacrifice proper movement around the prop.

EDIT: Covering the prop in func_brush with playerclip texture works only when there's a bit of distance between the prop collision model and the func_brush's. This sort of hacked solution works, but it would be extremly time consuming to do this on a prop with an expensive collision model.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016