Choppa

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Howling, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Howling

Howling L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Get to tha choppa!

The skinny:
    Blu and Red have to get their enemy's intelligence to the helipad as soon as possible!

The thick:
    There's only one helipad...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  2. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    First off, get some more screenshots, and use these tips too http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=4223

The map has some sections that are very open and snipers can absolutely dominate in. In your screenshot, for example, you can have a sniper attack from any direction pretty effectively. Some additional cover would patch that problem up.

3. Howling

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks! Done and done. Wrote the tips down, great screeny making now.

Yep, but are the proportions decent? I'm not so keen on the windy valleys on both sides. I'm thinking of making 1 larger valley down from the frontyard, splitting somewhere towards both the red and blue intels. With some corridors too, helping some of the other classes. IE: old mines?

Currently both valleys have rocky pillars (suggested, obviously) where a scout could jump across or a demo or soldier could blast on to. But indeed; more cover 'gainst snipers is definitely a must-have.

4. Howling

Positive Ratings:
    Hey I wanted to post a quick update, just to give a hint at what's going on. Right now I'm in the process of changing the map from a blocked out Alpha 1 version to a much more finished looking Alpha 2 version, including the displacement maps. A lot of detailing and obviously balancing left to be done. Here's an overview with what and where:

[​IMG]

I'm not yet sure about the way the Gorge is a second open area. There's a main route going straight through the middle of the Gorge and the Main Yard to the Helipad. Great for flagbearers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far I've been busy with the 3D skybox and the intel, which is situated in a drydock in a natural bay. I'm having some issues with lining up the skybox though. And the sky isn't smooth but looks boxy, still gotta read some tuts on that.

I'm trying not to make the dock a deathtrap for scouts, adding plenty of gettaways and more cover soon aswell. Added a func_nobuild perhaps. I can't wait to do the facade and interior work for the warehouse, which should prove a challenge and fun for engineers and spies. Darker and blockier, great for jumping perhaps... We'll see :)

5. Godslayer57

Godslayer57 L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Looks quite nice and thought out, and try and make sure it doesn't favour one class over another otherwise when its complete your have entire teams composed of one class.

6. Howling

Positive Ratings:
    Beta 3

Changes;
    • Ditched alpha 2, started from scratch
    • Reorganised the map's layout
    • Identifiable areas with their own characteristics
    • Healthkits & ammo
    • No deathpits

Download: http://www.bldng.nl/files/ctf_choppa_a3.bsp.bz2

I would love to hear some 'on the ground' feedback. :blush: