Choosing a gaming headset

Smetzle

L3: Member
May 20, 2009
I'm looking to buy a headset to replace my £10, last-minute oh-my-God-I'm-sure-I forgot-something speakers from Tesco, but I've been bombarded with claims of 'immersive sound quality' and '7.1 surround sound effect'. I just wanted to get an opinion from anyone here who has a headset, does more money = better sound quality and how much of a difference does the sound quality really make? Also, how effective are these 'surround sound simulation' (or something)'s and how effective are they in comparison to real surround sound?

Thanks for any help, hopefully I can make an informed choice before I spend an obscene amount of money on the OMG RaZERRR 1337z 7.1 surround soundzzzz :p.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
IMO most of it is marketing fluff, same as the super gold-plated cables with extra fidelity from harvested orphan tears. If you already have a sound card, don't get a "USB headset" because it's basically a second cheaper sound-card.

There is a choice to be made in terms of overall design: How much bass do you want out of your headphones? How much noise in the room are you trying to screen out? That will affect whether you want a headset that goes over your ears entirely versus one which just rests on it.

This is what I use. It's been a while, so part of the pading is wearing off.

Unless you really think you'll need it, try to avoid getting in-line volume/mute control because those things are a magnet for bad connections to develop.

I have no idea how well those "5.1" headsets (with multiple smaller speakers in them) really work, but when I play games what I care about the most is the seeming directionality of sounds, which in some games is primarily a software limitation.

Last edited:

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
honestly, it really just depends on how much you are willing to spend
I am personally running:
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=29043&vpn=PC350&manufacture=Sennheiser Electronics
for gaming.
And, http://www.sennheiserusa.com/private_headphones_wireless-headphones_009927
for everything else (including listening to music from my computer from the other side of my house lolz)

Of course if your not insane enough to spend $200 on a headset, I had the microsoft lifechat 3000's beforehand and they were passable...certainly better then the $20 speakers now hidden behind my monitors :p

Oh and just saying, when I moved from the microsoft headset to the rs140s I was like..."Holy crap, tf2 sounds so freaken better", when I moved to the pc350s it was more like "hmm, this is better"

Last edited:

Smetzle

May 20, 2009
Thanks for the advice :). I think I'll go with the Fatal1ty Pro Series, since they're more within my price range than the Sennheisers, although they do make me unnaturally aroused :O

Wegason

Aug 16, 2009
I use the Speedlink Medusa 5.1 Home Edition, 5.1 directionality in the headphones, good quality microphone, comes in fancy packaging, and it also has a separate audio switch that you plug the headphones into and your sound card to.

So basically its like this

Computer > Soundcard > Audio Hub > Speakers & Headphone

You just press a button to switch from speakers to your headset.

Chaopsychochick

L4: Comfortable Member
Jun 16, 2009
I dont think that the more money for a better headset is the most important thing. IMO I think what you should look at for a headset is comfort, if you are anything like me you will be wearing it for hours each day, and having something with good padding and comfort is where it's at!

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
I use the Speedlink Medusa 5.1 Home Edition, 5.1 directionality in the headphones, good quality microphone, comes in fancy packaging, and it also has a separate audio switch that you plug the headphones into and your sound card to.

So basically its like this

Computer > Soundcard > Audio Hub > Speakers & Headphone

You just press a button to switch from speakers to your headset.

I have something similar but much cheaper. It's a simple 3.5mm stereo splitter plugged in my soundcard where I can then plug-in both my headset and speakers. Seems to do the trick and the only downside is that essentially the sound output is halved.