MVM ChinaTown

NavarioN

L1: Registered
Aug 24, 2009
Hello everybody! :)

When I saw koth_king after it had been relased, i thought: wow, i love this theme, I want to make a map like this one!
When MvM came out, I came to conclusion that i want to create China styled MvM level. So I started it.
Although I have 1k hours in spend in source sdk and tens of started projects, I have never finished any map, so I hope that this time I won't get bored after few days or weeks of creation - and that's why I started this thread. I hope that with your little help and tips I won't lose my motivation.
Also, this map is occasion for me to finally learn to make nice buildings :)

My first problem is that I don't know how to get that nice lighting like in koth_king. I copied light_environment like entities but it's still too dark.

"ChinaTown" is the first name which I invented, so I guess it can change, do you have any advices?

Finally, sorry for my english, it's my foreign language but I hope you'll understand all I wrote :)

Greetings fellas!

Last edited:

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
I like it! The only thing I can say now (wihtout a download or more screenshots) is that it looks like there's not many defensive positions. Look at all the official maps, they all have some place, cover, a bridge, to defend with at the start, and then another really strong spot near the end of fall back to and defend from.

Another thing I've discovered with my map, that looks like it'll be a problem in yours, is the bots only have one way to go for half the map, then only two. You'll need flanks going around the side, probably in raised positions and such. 2 entrances to the hatch area is too easy to defend.

But it looks promising. Keep going, get it tested!

NavarioN

Aug 24, 2009
Hey, thanks for your reply :)
Before I started making this map I spent some time looking around and making screenshots in official MvM maps and I've also noticed that they have many flank routes and deffensive positions. I just forgot to mention this in first post :) In fact, i'm going to make some underground paths (gray dotted line on the screen below, entrys are marked with plus. Also, there will be two more buildings (blue color) and (I'm not sure if I'll do it) "tunnel" inside buildings in the center of map (with underground entry in it)

Speaking of deffensive positions, I'll think about it and figure something ot :)

mvmchinatown0007.jpg

Bakscratch

Finisher of Maps
aa
Oct 29, 2010
Judging by the screens, I would stop focusing on the looks of the map and focus more on game play now. It look like you can easily do the China theme. The addition of the underground "subway" (maybe) is really good, Maybe if you choice to make it a subway have the bots come from where the trains will come from? Other than that looks good, I was gonna make a Mvm in the China style but you beat me too it :(

boeftim

Jun 21, 2012
mmm maby u could base it for less people like 3 insted of 6 that way its easyer to play

Kengon

Jul 4, 2012
I like the theme, and I definitely think you should get this completed, but the layout might benefit from being a little more complex.

I like the idea of the underground pathway, and the first pathway looks cool too, but do you think a third pathway could be added along the southern (from the screenshot with the grey lines on) road? Might make gameplay a little more intense and maybe better balanced.

Just putting it out there. Looks good though, bro! :)

NavarioN

Aug 24, 2009
Thank you guys for your responses and opinions :)

Judging by the screens, I would stop focusing on the looks of the map and focus more on game play now. It look like you can easily do the China theme. The addition of the underground "subway" (maybe) is really good, Maybe if you choice to make it a subway have the bots come from where the trains will come from? Other than that looks good, I was gonna make a Mvm in the China style but you beat me too it :(

Yeah, I also would like to focus on game play, but I'm better in detailing than map planning :D Anyway, your subway idea is cool and I've added it to my map (new screens always in first post)

From what I can tell it looks like the layout is a bit over simplified and probably too short.

Well, you don't see all of the defence spots in these screens, so it will be much better when I'll finish it and you'll be able to play on it. Also, map isn't too shorted. The times of going from start to hatch are the same like in coaltown.

mmm maby u could base it for less people like 3 insted of 6 that way its easyer to play

I think I'll just leave it with 6 players. There also will be a subway to defence.

I like the theme, and I definitely think you should get this completed, but the layout might benefit from being a little more complex.

I like the idea of the underground pathway, and the first pathway looks cool too, but do you think a third pathway could be added along the southern (from the screenshot with the grey lines on) road? Might make gameplay a little more intense and maybe better balanced.

Just putting it out there. Looks good though, bro! :)

Thank you and sorry, but I don't know if I understood your comment - I added addictional entry in the hatch area, is that what you meant? ;)

There are 3 tracks in subway. In middle will drive a train (like in cp well), and from the side ones will go out machines. I have to reduce space in subway and cut it into smaller pieces.

Last edited: